Fox-glove Are They Ready?

FshyPlnts(5, 6)November 7, 2011

Hey all!

So I have a ton of Fox-Glove in the back yard and am hoping to harvest seeds from them! I have never done this before and am hoping some of you can tell me if you think these are ready to be harvest yet? Also, any tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Those are not foxgloves, FshyPlnts. They are Chelone, aka Turtle Head. I suggest you pick the pods which are brown and open, ie the lower ones, and just tip them out to extract the seeds.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 7:58PM
FshyPlnts(5, 6)

Hey!
So that shows how much I deal with outdoor plants :). I got the two plants I am dealing with confused. Are foxglove ready the same time? When the fruits brown? Also, I tried the method you described. It seem like a lot of work. Is it possible to separate the fruits and plant them in their entirety? Thanks for the help!
Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fishy Plants

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 12:42AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Foxgloves were ripe a long time ago in my climate so you may have missed them. I don't really consider tipping a few pods out 'a lot of work' but I suppose you could wait until all the pods are brown and shake the whole stem to get the seeds. I can't help you with whether it's good to plant a whole pod. Some people do it but I never have. If you consider that each pod contains many, many seeds you would end up with a thick clump of seedlings which would need thinning anyway. Sprinkling them thinly onto a flat or seedbed doesn't seem too difficult to me. You don't need to sow them individually. Just take a pinch between finger and thumb and sprinkle.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 4:00AM
More Discussions
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™