Black Locust Seeds

fruitman(Zone 5 Kansas)November 20, 2005

I have access to thousands of black locust seeds that are still in the pods on the tops of the trees. Are these seeds viable? How long do they need moist stratification?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
philmont_709n2(z6 Ohio)

believe it or not i had sucess in germinating them by boiling them!

Soak in boiling water for 10 sec.
to 5 min., then in water at room
temp. for 8 to 10 hours. Then plant them!

It worked for me.

Bookmark   November 23, 2005 at 7:50PM
fruitman(Zone 5 Kansas)

Do I boil them now and plant in fall; or store in a dry, cold place and then boil then plant in spring?

Bookmark   November 24, 2005 at 1:21AM
fruitman(Zone 5 Kansas)

bump

Bookmark   November 25, 2005 at 1:35PM
garden_witch(z6a MI)

I wintersowed honey locust two years ago. I picked up the pod off the sidewalk downtown in the rain =) I just dried mine on a plate and pretty much left them there untill I sowed them. I have one surviving sapling, about knee high!

Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 9:02AM
tradergordo(6B)

(I know its an old thread, but the following info could be useful to someone doing a search)

I just started a whole bunch of black locust seeds. I collected them last fall, and stuck them in my freezer. In April I used a sharp razor to cut open the pods. I only kept the biggest, healthiest looking seeds from the biggest pods. I nicked/shaved a small piece of the OUTER seed casing (do not cut the green inner seed), then submerged them in warm water overnight (12 hours). They should swell up a bit, I think you could keep them submerged for longer, probably 24 hours, if they haven't swelled, you should wait longer (maybe remove the ones that swelled and leave the others).

Then I wrapped them in a wet paper towel, kept wet by placing one end in a small jar of water to wick up to the rest of the paper towel (seeds NOT under water). Most of the seeds germinated after just 2 days. I planted the ones that germinated and they are growing well right now.

Note that this technique works well for most seeds with a hard outer shell including many tree seeds. Often when directions say to be patient, germination can take 3-4 weeks, you can use this method to get germination in 3 days (I've done it with strawberries for example and slow to germinate tree seeds).

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 2:32PM
honchell

I used a technique similar to the one tradergordo used. instead of putting the paper towel in a jar, i put the damp paper towel in a plastic bag and put it in a worm place. i got germination as early as a few days. also, before i put the seeds in the paper towel i soaked them for about 24 hours and filed down a little bit of the seed coat.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Sponsored Products
Couristan Everest 1284/4898 Fontana Area Rug - Gold/Black - 12844898710112T
$699.00 | Hayneedle
VIG Furniture - Tango - Modern Black Leather Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
Oak & Black Americana Granite Kitchen Island
$629.99 | zulily
Iron Footed Column Crackled Black Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Tizio Classic Task Lamp by Artemide
$565.00 | Lumens
15" Mariella Corner Vanity - Black
Signature Hardware
Nourison Home and Garden Black Floral Indoor/Outdoor Rug (7'9 x 10'10)
Overstock.com
Metalarte | Panama Pe Outdoor Light
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™