Bougainvillea

iluvbonsai(z7b VA)November 11, 2004

We have a coulple of Bougainvilleas in our "green house". What I was wondering is if they get any seeds on them. I know that the flowers are actually bracts with a tiny white flower in the center of the bracts, but I have never seen any seeds associated with where the flowers have died. Do they even get seeds and where would the be located if they do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baci(z10Ca)

Bougainvillea flowers & forms seed pods in the fall. I have seen tiny colored flowers inside the bract; not necessarily white. The pod is about 1 inch long, with tiny seeds inside.

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 9:50AM
iluvbonsai(z7b VA)

Do you know how to grow them from seed? If I can get some before they drop, I'd like to try growing them from seed as long as I know how to do it.

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 1:36PM
baci(z10Ca)

I am experimenting on growing them at present  they are usually propagated from cutting. I would go ahead & save the pods as they seem do disappear quickly. I will repost when I have found a successful method.

Bookmark   December 2, 2004 at 10:15AM
iluvbonsai(z7b VA)

OK, sounds great. I would think though that they would have a large problem with damping off disease. Good luck with them though. I think I'll collect a bounch of the seeds if I can before they drop and try experimenting.

Bookmark   December 2, 2004 at 12:29PM
baci(z10Ca)

Iluvbonsai, a couple of us have had success with starting Bougainvillea from seed. They can damp off, as you were concerned about, but they can also grow. Here are the threads:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg0623390313751.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg0407595130694.html?27

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 9:12AM
kapper

Hi, has anyone had any success with growing Bougainvillea
from seed? If you have, how did you go about it?

I live in the U.K., and at the moment several pods are still on my plant, although the bracts have gone really dry, and faded looking. The pods look as if they have swollen somewhat, so l am hopeful that there may be seed/seeds inside. I don't know how long it takes for the seeds to ripen sufficiently to be gathered, or how to tell when is the right time to do so. Also, if there are any, would they have to be stored in a particular way before planting, and when would they have to be planted?

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™