shade plants from seed/cuttings?

newbiehavinfun(7a - Southern NJ)March 10, 2010

Hi all. In addition to being a fledgling gardener, I am a teacher. Another teacher and I are starting a courtyard shade garden at our school. Any recommendations for plants that can be grown from seed or cuttings easily that are adaptable to shade or partial shade? Thanks!

Megan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Do you want flowers or just ground cover plants? Annuals or perennials? For a school garden, it is nice to have plants that flower in spring or fall when the kids/teachers are in school to see them. I find that early bulbs such as snowdrops, narcissus poeticus, siberian squill etc. are really easy and low maintenance. Then pick some fall-flowering plants such as Japanese anemones, pink turtlehead, etc. for late colour. Shade annuals include impatiens and fibrous begonias, but I think that it is too late to start seeds of these now. Both of these are slow growing from seed and have to be started very early. Also small flats/trays of blooming plants can be purchased quite cheaply in the spring. Maybe you could put a small notice in your school paper or on a notice board in the teachers' room asking for donations of shade tolerant plants for your garden.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 8:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newbiehavinfun(7a - Southern NJ)

Ontario:

Great ideas! Thanks so much!

Megan

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
Whats wrong with my Bleeding Heart?
Hi I bought a bareroot bleeding heart/dicentra back...
somba75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™