Saving seeds in Vaccuum sealed bags

lhendri479December 18, 2006

Is it possible to save seeds in vaccuum sealed bags? Has anyone tried this method? Please let me know. Also - can anyone tell me how I get back here to check on an answer if I get one? Am very new to this site. Thank you very much. Or send email to: lhendri479@aol.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

I see no one has replied to this post, so I'll take a stab at it...

Personally, I would not recommend the use of vacuum-sealed bags or envelopes for seed storage. All seeds are alive, and require a small amount of air to stay that way.

The only exception might be for long-term storage in deep-freeze conditions; but perhaps even then it might reduce the viability of the seed.

Incidentally, placing seeds in any sealed, air-tight package - vacuum or not - is not advisable unless the seeds have been dried properly. If excessive moisture is sealed in, the seeds will deteriorate quickly, especially at room temperature or above.

"Also - can anyone tell me how I get back here to check on an answer if I get one?"

When you create a new post, you have the option of having any replies emailed to you. Don't think there is any way to do this retro-actively, though.

Bookmark   December 24, 2006 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™