this forum is totally dead!!!

brandon7 TN_zone(7)February 8, 2010

I just bumped down some posts that had been here for over a year, unanswered!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

Hi Brandon. I haven't been here in quite awhile since it's so slow, so it's good to see somebody actually posting!

I grow veggies in small spaces and give seminars on the subject, also. What do you grow?

Sandy

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 10:37AM
yogagrl_flwrpaintr11(6)

hello Sandy... u give seminars on growing veg.s in small spaces? how cool! I live downtown and have literally NO space outside. But i do have a sunroom and some addt'l indoor space. Which candidates (if any) would u recommend for indoors... i only have south windows in the sunroom, all others are east.

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 10:50PM
gardener_sandy

Hi yogagrl. The only veggies that do well indoors, even with lots of windows, are the leafy ones, like lettuce or kale, or radishes might produce a bulb. Those that flower and produce "fruit" need more sunlight than comes through windows. There are a lot of very pretty lettuces you could try.

If you could provide supplemental grow lights, then you can grow just about anything indoors. There's a good forum here on growing under lights. I'll put a link at the bottom of this post.

Do you have a patio or deck? If so and it gets adequate sunlight (minimum of 6 hours full sun a day) then you can grow veggies in pots or planters.

VA Tech has good publications on the subject. Here's a link to a good list:
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/category/fruits-vegetables.html

Good luck. With a little work you should be able to grow a few fresh veggies, even downtown!

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Under Lights forum

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 11:10PM
yogagrl_flwrpaintr11(6)

Thanks so much Sandy! Sorry I got busy with school and haven't been back here for a while.

I actually do have a grow light but I'm sure for veggies I will need to get more. No patio but I think grow lights or not I am going to look into some lettuces. I just love the self-sufficiency I have with my herbs and adding lettuce to the mix would definitely be nice :)

Thanks for your time and help(and the great links)!
Nemaste,
Elizabeth

Bookmark   February 14, 2010 at 1:30PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Yup Brandon, close to it. It's a shame isn't it? The concept is good but the users are few....

Tom

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 6:56PM
southernorchidlover(z7)

I agree. This should be the busiest forum here. Right now, I have realized that I have started too soon, but I will try again later this month. My tomatoes are spindly, and I know why. I will add this forum to my favorites.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Nosy Neighbor
My retired, next door neighbor seems to have taken...
DanZone4
Mutations or just regular plants?
I keep wondering myself why these two plants keep growing...
nanowatt
Melons & squash: bad neighbors?
I've started a container garden in front of my apartment....
MeaWea
New Member Saying Hi :)
Hi everyone :) Just joined this forum today and wanted...
adventures
Plant destruction by unknown animals
We find plants, onions, radishes, etc., pulled up out...
Detchemendy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™