Container Gardening and planting seeds q.

nanaclaire(5b)March 29, 2013

I have two large containers I purchased last summer. I want to put soil inside and plant a lot of seeds, different kinds, then later transplant them as to where I want to plant them inside those containers and elsewhere. I was wondering should I put holes in the bottom and how many holes? Oh, and it sits on concrete.

One is 22.5", a whiskey resin barrel, as shown in picture. The other one is a bit smaller.

I am planning on buying one more similar to those. I was going to start the seeds inside, however we will be gone the middle of April for a week and it will interfere with starting them indoors, so decided I will do it after the last frost sometime in May, hopefully sooner than later :)

I also have a regular flower bed where I can plant those seedlings but many of them will be in those containers. I am planting zinnia, petunias, lavender, and maybe others.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

They will need drainage anyway to be used as permanent pots, but you can use them as is for seed starting, just don't drench the soil to the full depth.

I'd put about 8 holes in the bottom, mine would be one eighth inch, because of my climate. I want slow drainage. Yours can be larger.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 11:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sugi_c(9a)

I have one of these. I drilled one 1/4" holes all around the bottom perimeter and four 1/2" holes in the middle (slightly raised) section. Drains nicely.

I've taken my seeds to friends to water/mist while I'm gone. Better that than starting too late and shortening your growing season, especially since it doesn't sound like you're doing that many seeds. Just a thought.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Small Area/Clay Heavy Soil Help
I was able to get away with make a decent sized garden...
StaceyVonWolf
Dorm Gardening
All of my life I have had a love affair with plants....
staticembrace
Pain Points of Urban Gardeners
Hi dear urban gardeners! Can I ask you a question?:) Each...
aiflai
need ideas
Hi, I'm a senior with limited mobility. The yard is...
carol0512
Plant destruction by unknown animals
We find plants, onions, radishes, etc., pulled up out...
Detchemendy
Sponsored Products
Red Carpet Studios Teardrop Solar Light - 35302
$32.17 | Hayneedle
Sunbrella Bay View Heather Beige Outdoor Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Crystal Bakehouse Two-Light Pendant in Silver Finish with Handcrafted, Polished
Bellacor
Pamplona Outdoor Post Mount by Troy Lighting
$628.00 | Lumens
Porcelain Gnome Lamp
$17.99 | zulily