Coleus seedlings!

docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)March 24, 2013

I'm so excited, I just have to share. I started several packs of coleus seed under lights. I think every single seed sprouted! Today I plucked most of the seedlings out of the original container and put them into individual containers, or 2 or 3 sprouts per cup. So, they have room to keep growing and I've put them under their own light so it can be within inches of the sprouts. Wish me luck and pray I don't have any damping off.

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Finally seen this. Great news and I hope all are still healthy. I love coleus seedlings they really add color to the flats.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 12:26AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Sending good vibes to your babies! Coleus sprouts are so cute.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 9:58AM
cynthi(5)

I'm just beginning to think about getting plants started. I've heard coleus is pretty hearty and want to try it too. Do you have any tips for a newbie?

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 4:38PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Coleus seeds need heat and light (meaning not buried under the soil, not put where the sun is directly shining) to germinate. Once you're having days in the 70's, you should have good results. For such tiny seeds and seedlings, they grow pretty fast.

If you are impatient, you might want to get a 6-pack or two, of already-started little plants. They're inexpensive and readily available when stores have flats of annuals. Slightly bigger individual plants go from $2-up, depending on size.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 5:04PM
cynthi(5)

Thanks for the feedback. I am a little impatient being our summers are so short up here. I also haven't much room in my small apartment for seedlings. I like your suggestion of buying some already started when the temps rise.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
Columnar or Upright Evergreen for Shady Area?
Hello, I have a gate that's about 8' wide and 6' high...
zooba72
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™