Mounting a shepherd's hook

catlike(7b)March 4, 2006

I am in a situation where I cannot mount anything to the walls/ceiling on my balcony, but I'd like to have something with some height, preferably a hanging basket. I was thinking of taking a tall shepherd's hook and cementing it into a heavy (cement?) pot, such that it would not be knocked over. It sounds good on paper, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

My mom has shepards hooks just "planted" in a large pot of soil (plants at it's feet) and then she has tied it to the rails of the deck. She uses hers for birdfeeders.

GGG

Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 10:32PM
catlike(7b)

Maybe I'll go the soil route first and see if that is sturdy enough. Our balcony walls are completely solid stucco, so there is nothing to tie anything around. It's become quite a decorating and gardening challenge. Thanks for your suggestion!

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 11:30AM
maggiemuffin360

Catlike,
Not sure if you went ahead with the shepherd's hook idea; if you didn't would a tripod type of setup work? And with a hanging basket in the center, the foliage and flowers would hide most of the structure.
just a thought....

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 3:48PM
jiggreen(zone 6b, carlisle PA)

i was at the nursery this past weekend and saw wrought iron shepherd's hooks on freestanding stands. this was at a nice independent nursery, not a big box store and they carry a large selection of wrought iron items. you might want to check around at some of the nurseries in your area and see if you can find something similar.
here is the nursery that i saw the hooks at, i don't know if they do mail order.

:) jiggreen

Here is a link that might be useful: country market nursery

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
My backyard -- a work-in-progress
Had a lovely weekend working in my back yard, and while...
alison
Suggestion for a hot deck!
Living in Aliso Viejo, CA we have a very hot summer...
jpccusa
Need help with shade plantings
I need some advice and I chose this subcategory because...
Chris Cousineau
My garden design and limitations.
My yard is small, and since a pipeline runs through...
Jan L.
flowerpot soil for edible plants?
beginning gardener here with what may be a stupid question......
kyochicago
Sponsored Products
BLux | Marc Ceiling Light
$768.80 | YLighting
Gus Modern | Magazine Rack - Quick Ship
YLiving.com
Twisted Hand-Forged Iron Pull
Signature Hardware
13' European Side Mount Patio Umbrella
FRONTGATE
Afina Signature Collection Four Door 58W x 30H in. Recessed Medicine Cabinet Mul
Hayneedle
Trans Globe 1-lt Outdoor Wall Sconce
LBC Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™