Need Privacy Screen from Busy Road

roccolMarch 8, 2007

Hello I live in Northern Jersey on a busy road. I currently have a row of cherry laurel shrubs(small) and behind them I have Emerald Green Arbs. The Arbs were a very poor suggestion by the Landscaper unfortunately. I have two Large old Oaks that hover over this area so it is partially shady in the summer. The Arbs do get sun, but certainly not full sun. The Arbs are ok, but they are not thriving in this area and get beat up from the road salt every year. I was planning on moving the Arbs to my yard where they will do great.

However, I need something to replace them with. I have considered Leylands, Green Giants, Eastern redcedar, and Hemlock. Am I on the right path here? I really need a good screen that is visually appealing all year long. Obviously there is a lot working against it here. But I do have a sprinkler zone for the trees. Water will not be a problem. Obviously there is much more sun in the winter:) Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
entling

I would go with the Eastern redcedar (Juniper?). On the island in the middle of my cul-de-sac are three junipers. They have been there probably over 20 years and are huge. The road salt does not both them.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 11:10AM
roccol

Anyone know where I can buy these in Northern NJ or online? I want to start at 6 ft

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 12:17PM
michele_1

I've pretty much "greened" out my neighbors. We love privacy. So I have thought and researched this issue a great deal. I am a southern gardener, so I don't know how much this will help you.

The real question is how much summer sun will these plants get. Without knowing exactly how much sun this area gets, it is difficult to recommend anything.

Eastern red cedar is a full sun tree, as are Leylands and Aborviteas (arboviteas will take more shade than Leylands.

Some hollies will tolerate shade, especially part shade. I would find out which shade tolerant hollies do best in your area.

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Moss growing in flower bed.
I have a small flower bed where my backyard meets wooded...
april_wine
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™