Questions about strawberries

shadowfox306(8a)April 10, 2013

I have a container sized strawberry plant and was wondering if the vines can be trimmed and maintained at a certain length or if it is better to let them grow. I was also wondering if it can survive under artificial light. I prefer sunlight but that is not possible with the space i have.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DTMF

Hey shadowfox,

I have never successfully grown a strawberry that did not get at least half a day of full sun. :-\ That's not to say it can't be done, but I think the cost of building an adequate light/heat source for the plants might outweigh the value of the berries you'd get out of it. It's your call, though.

As to the vines, they're actually "runners" that wil become new plants if given soil to grow in. I usually trim them off and start them in small pots and then transfer them to a full sized bed once they are strong enough. But, again, it's pretty much up to you as far as how you want to deal with them.

Best of luck.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 6:02AM
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

shadowfox306

If you heat your house with either propane or oil then it pays to heat with CFL's and use their waste byproduct "light" to grow plants under. Chose your variety carefully as some do much better than others in low light. I am giving up on strawberries as they are problematic and have no shelf life. I have quit researching them and can't help you here.

Look into alpine strawberries. that may be what you will really like

DTMF I was not aware that the runner could be clipped and rooted separately. My friend will appreciate this .

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 11:29PM
HeyJude2012(10b/24 San Diego)

I find my strawberry runners do better if I plant the end of the runner in a small pot and I use a U nail to hold it down until it roots. I give them a week or two. Then I clip them from the mother plant. Last year I lost the few runners that I clipped first and then planted.

As far as artificial light goes...I don't know the answer. I do know that the more sun the berry plant gets, the sweeter it will be. I don't know if the artificial lights have the same benefits for fruits.

Good luck! J

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 2:08AM
clairdo2(3)

My strawberries keep the white tip on them even when the berries are ripe. Does anyone know why ?

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Need help landscaping small backyard!
I have a small backyard that also is lined with a retaining...
angusboom
Small Area/Clay Heavy Soil Help
I was able to get away with make a decent sized garden...
StaceyVonWolf
Nosy Neighbor
My retired, next door neighbor seems to have taken...
DanZone4
Dorm Gardening
All of my life I have had a love affair with plants....
staticembrace
flowerpot soil for edible plants?
beginning gardener here with what may be a stupid question......
kyochicago
Sponsored Products
Modern Fan Company | Pensi Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
Aluminum Armillary Sphere
| Dot & Bo
Country Cast Iron Handrail Bracket - Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware
Roto Ceiling Fan
Lightology
Caesar Mantel
$1,285.00 | Horchow