flowering plants in the shade

bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)April 3, 2007

The north side of the house, rarely receives the sun. I've interested in planting flowering perennials that will attract butterflies and hummingbird.

It would be perfect if I can plant different varieties that will bloom at different times.

I've heard that Bleeding Heart, and Columbines will grow in the shade.

Any suggestions?

I thaught about planting ferns, but they get invasive.

Would rhododendron grow will in this shady spot? does it attract butterflies?

Bass

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Do a search for shade plants or visit your library or book store for a book on shade gardening to help you get started. There are scores of flowering plants that would prefer to be sited in a shady location and that will provide color throughout the season. Many early flowering woodland shrubs are attractive to hummingbirds, but I'm not sure what the migratory patterns are in your area - hummingbirds are year round visitors in my garden.

You also need to determine exactly what type of shade conditions you have. Unless immediately adjacent to the house or under the shadow cast by a large overhang, north facing planting areas tend to receive a lot more light than most suspect, specially in summer. You should not be overly limited by what you can plant in this type of location. Also, the canopies of large trees can create a different shade situation, as the tree roots will draw lots of soil moisture, providing dry shade - this gets a bit trickier to plant.

And I'd not necessarily eliminate ferns. Most ferns are NOT invasive and make great additions to a shade garden. You may be thinking about bracken fern, Pteridium, which does form large colonies, both by spreading root rhizomes and by spore dispersal. But it also happens to be an important food source for the larvae of various butterflies so you may want to include some anyway in a less cultivated part of the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's just a few shade plants to get you started

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?
I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch,...
GeeDavey
Flower suggestions for the front of my home
I would like to grow flowers in my front yard, but...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Cover in the Shade
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™