birds & window boxed tomatoes

brklyngrlMay 16, 2011

so, my tender little tomato seedlings suffered a massacre over the weekend -- at the hands (beaks?) of birds!

this winter/spring we installed window boxes onto our windows in order to increase the amount of flora we're exposed to & to give growing our own food in our NYC apartment a shot.

i planted tomato seeds, grew beautiful little seedlings, and planted the tomato babies in the window box. within a week, the birds had found them & eaten them.

around each window box i've set up fishing line to deter birds. the line floats 2 inches above the boxes and is strung between two bamboo skewers. this was in-place before the bird attack.

does anyone have any other great methods for keeping birds away? preferably none too ugly?

(on a happier note, the lettuces, cilantro, snow peas, sunflowers, kale & sweet peas are thriving!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EnjoyHerbalGardening

It is wonderful for me to hear the someone in the busy NYC is planting a garden. I have 3 children. They have all experienced growing plants from seeds. When I read your post my mind took me back to when my youngest planted a seed and the same thing happened to "FRED"-the name she had given to her plant. We had a spinning flag, those kid toy spin wheel fans with a stick. We put that right beside the plant. It did work.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 2:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

You could also cover your plants with green tulle until the birds no longer find them to be tender and juicy temptations...they will lose their appeal as they take root and grow.

However, window boxes are too small for many varieties of tomatoes. Do you know what yours were?

Jan

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Straw Bale Gardening, seems to be taking over the world.
The number one best selling book in the gardening world...
Joel Karsten
need ideas
Hi, I'm a senior with limited mobility. The yard is...
carol0512
Sources for milkweed around Brooklyn or Staten Island NY?
Hello, Know of any sources for milkweed - the usual...
ash1970_gw
Plant destruction by unknown animals
We find plants, onions, radishes, etc., pulled up out...
Detchemendy
Flat Roof garden
I'm putting my garden on the roof of a concrete block...
kaktus_jak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™