A few Sunday roses

the_dark_lady(z7 Amelia VA)August 26, 2012

Hurray! We had almost 3" of rain yesterday. Actually, it was the first good rain this summer.

Please take a look at my photos made today.

The Pilgrim is simply adorable

Thumbs Up is a little bit pale - you can hardly see pink stripes on yellow petals

Star of the Republic

And another rose from Antique Rose Emporium. It is one of freebees I received this summer.

This rose is a charmer. Joe Woddard

The Wife of Bath

Elizabeth Stuart. Wonderful rose, good bloomer, sweet fragrance.

My favorite 'white' English Rose - Windermere

A dear friend gave me this rose as a birthday gift. Very pretty.

Winter Lodge

Lady of Shalott

Thank you very much for looking.

Marina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Oh, that Joe Woddard is a charmer! I like the form very much and the color is yummy!

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 8:59PM
bethnorcal9

Beautiful blooms! Ok, now I definitely have to get LADY OF SHALOTT!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:41AM
the_dark_lady(z7 Amelia VA)

Thank you, ladies! :)

Beth, you definitely need Lady of Shalott. The rose is a beauty.
Here are a few more photos of her for you.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:30AM
organicgardendreams(z 10)

Marina, your are showing us quite some lovely roses here :-)! I find Windermere, Elizabeth Stuart and, of course, Lady of Shallot especially beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Christina

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 11:36AM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Really nice color on Winter Lodge...I haven't heard of that one before. I also grow Star of the Republic and really fell in love with its health and vigor...great ARE rose!

How do you find The Pilgrim in terms of BS resistance? I was torn between it and Teasing Georgia, and went with Teasing Georgia...but wonder how The Pilgrim would do? I have a Golden Celebration that is horribly stricken with BS and may replace it with an Austin more resistant...

Tammy

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 10:41PM

Tammy, my The Pilgrim (actually two of them) do have some BS, not too bad since I don't spray at all. I think about 15-20% of leaves are affected by this disease.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 10:49AM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

I enjoy so much seeing photos of your beautiful roses. They are just superb. If I had to pick a favorite in this group, I think it would be Joe Woddard. So unique and charming, but the the Lady of Shallot is a close second. Those photos of her were truly eye popping.

I hope you won't mind a couple of questions. I checked out Augusta Luise on Hortico, and HMF. I am so smitten with this rose. Do you like her a lot? How is AL's rebloom? And lastly, about how wide does she get for you? Thanks so much, and thanks for your continued postings of your beauties. Diane

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 12:33AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Thank you for the lovely pics of Lady of Shalott. I planted her back in late May, and she almost instantly became my new favorite in the garden. Certainly, the most continual bloomer in my garden--and absolutely lovely blooms. So far, I've had no disease problems with her at all.

Glad to hear the good report on The Pilgrim. I also planted it in late May, but it hasn't been as obliging a bloomer as my Lady of Sahlott--just started blooming about a week ago. I just love how soft its light yellow/white blend is. I hope mine is going to begin blooming more vigorously like yours. No disease problems on it to report yet. I expect it to be gorgeous by next year.

Kate

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 9:27AM

Diane, thank you very much for your kind comments.

Augusta Luise does not grow wide for me. Bushes are rather narrow and upright. I grow three together and they look fabulous. I really love this rose. It has that changing color, ruffled petals and the blooms last quite long. The rebloom is good, too. If I have it in check by timely deadheading, it repeats very well, and even when I skip deadheading, it still produces new flowers.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 12:14PM

Kate, my The Pilgrim is also rather new in my garden - I planted it in Spring 2011. It didn't develop into a climber or a large shrub. Still very petit, but I really love (just like you) this soft yellow color, abundance of blooms an quite good health.
My Lady of Shalott (three bushes planted as a group) are about three years old (I've got them the first year they've been released in UK). They are awesome - nice fountain shaped bushes, about 5 1/2' tall, blooming their head off.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 12:20PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

Thanks for the info on Augusta Luise. I have hope that I can squeeze her in a good spot. I'm thinking I'd better get the Lady of Shallot, too, thanks to your lovely photos. Diane

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:02PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Luscious roses. Windermere is the one for me.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 4:48PM
nulty

Lady Of Shalott is a beauty indeed,..all fantastic pictures of her,..The Pilgrim is awesome,..i have a white rose,.. Ice Cream,..which i placed on top of my list of likes,..your rose The Pilgrim has certainly gone to the top of my list,..all stunning pictures.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 7:19PM

Thank you very much, Iris Gal and Glengarry23!

Glen, I am sure, you will not be disappointed with The Pilgrim. Outstanding yellow rose!

Marina

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 7:16AM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Wow!! I love all your photos of Lady of Shallot!!! Amazing!!! The 2nd from the bottom is jaw droppingly beautiful!! I mean come on!!! That pic should be entered in a photography competition. WOW!!

Your Star of the Republic looks like a great big orange hanging on a tree. Fabulous!
Thank you!!!
Carol

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 7:13PM
sadie_pnw

Really beautiful shots, Marina. Thank you for sharing them. Gean

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
Received my clippings today of Peach Silk!!
I have tried to reply in Judiths original thread about...
Prettypetals_GA_7-8
Summer roses in South Africa
So I thought that while some of you are still eagerly...
liezelgil
Buddha's Garden
Here's one from my garden. This statue is a favorite...
kublakan
Austins In Africa
Some David Austins at the Southern tip of Africa :-) Emmanuel Generous...
liezelgil
A Test
I didn't know I could post pictures from my screen...
sara_ann-z6bok
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™