Schizophragma hydrangeoides roseum

kelly922April 29, 2013

Would like to plant in a shady area against our house...but worried about what will happen when we re-paint our house in the future. (We have aluminum siding) I have a decorative iron lattice in place - but is that enough and will it attach to the house underneath the lattice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

This climber will not attach to slick surfaces, like aluminum siding - it needs a textural surface for the rootlets to adhere to - wooden siding, tree bark, a fence. You can use the iron lattice for support but you will have to manually attach the hydrangea to it. And unless it is a BIG trellis, a happy climber will rapidly outgrow it. They get to be 40' or more!

ps. I though the whole advantage to aluminum siding was that it didn't need painting.......just wondering :-)

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 3:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kelly922

No aluminum siding doesn't have to be painted ever (key words "doesn't HAVE to"). I just wanted to. I didn't choose the siding - it was there when we bought our house 20 yrs ago and it's fine but I've gotten bored a couple times with the color since that time....so a change was fortunately possible.
Thx again for your advice gardengal!

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Cover in the Shade
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?
I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch,...
GeeDavey
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™