Where can I buy metallic shade mesh?

luis_prApril 30, 2007

I have some shade plants (azaleas, hydrangeas) that are telling me that they are getting too much sun now (hail killed several branches of a crape myrtle above). I was going to buy some type of metallic mesh that can protect them from sun while permitting water to go through. Does that type of thing exist out there? Is there a place locally that might sell this? What about mail order / Internet companies? Since I have to wait for the crape myrtle branches to grow, umbrellas suggested by some people are not going to work.

TIA, Luis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jz500(5 NW PA)

Hi Luis,

I am racking my brain here! I am wondering, would window screen material work? I think maybe 2 layers would give you shade and would be easy to work with. Maybe??? I know you can buy that in large rolls at HD and Lowes.

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 10:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

Go to TSC or any hardware store and ask to look at the construction cloth or some places call it hardware cloth. It comes is several gauges (bigger or smaller holes between the wire), it is very strong ie. birds can land on it and it won't bend like chicken wire and would just require bending it into a square and twisting a top on it made of the same material OR if you have more energy a small frame to staple-gun the hardware cloth to it. Strapping wood is very cheap and would do for the project you are talking about.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
Ornnamental grass
Do ornamental grasses grow well in the shade?
els60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™