foundation planting

blanche1951(zone 8)May 10, 2007

I have a garden area across the front of our rancher (27 feet) and only 16 inches deep. It is against the foundation with a sidewalk on the other side of the area. Can someone show me with pictures what they may have done with such a spot or make some suggestions. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

One of my sisters has a similar strip (although there is no sidewalk but a narrow level path along the side of the house on the otherside of the narrow strip with the other side of the path becoming a sharp slope that goes downwards towards her neighbor's row of yews that form a hedge). She had some blaze roses there (which she has since moved since she is re-doing her yard), but the idea of some sort of rose - particular shrub types - might be good.

Another sister has some inkberry hollies that generally fit in a similar narrow space behind a bed but almost right against the house. They were there when she moved in and on the end of the row is an arborvitae (which also stays fairly narrow).

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 7:31PM
kat872

I have a small shady foundation garden along the side of my house that is about 12 inches wide with all sorts of things growing in it: 2 heuchera, 2 hosta, 2 clematis, anemone (windflower), lambs ear, dianthus, saxifrage, and 2 unknowns that I forgot the name of.

Where it wraps around to the front of the house and gets wider I have irises, daylilies, sedum and hens & chicks.

I'm heading out there just now to pot up a couple things for my mom and sister and do some weeding. I'll try and get some pictures while I'm at it... although being further north than you things are just starting to fill out and I have some blooms, but it's not at it's showiest.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 12:32PM
kat872

Hi again,

So I took some pics of my foundation planting (after I cleaned it all up of course). I also must make a correction because I measured... and they are 16 inches wide.

Have a great weekend!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kat872 - foundation beds

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 7:00PM
blanche1951(zone 8)

Thanks everyone great ideas!!!!

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 11:39PM
californian

Beware you don't end up attracting termites. You will have to keep the area damp which is conducive to them moving in. If you amend the soil with wood based compost or mulch even more so. It was an expensive lesson to me after I ammended the soil with redwood mulch.

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 10:45AM
kat872

Good point! We don't have termites up here so I never think of things like that...

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Dorm Gardening
All of my life I have had a love affair with plants....
staticembrace
Proof that you're an urban gardener...
People have been known to walk off with your plants,...
romando
Half sunny and half rainy almost everyday
Hi. I'm very new to gardening. Gardening is something...
warpatato
New urban garden
We moved into a new house last summer, and I'm working...
javakaty
The Garden Thief
*Sigh* My garden has been a contentious issue for me....
uaskigyrl
Sponsored Products
Black 6" High Low Voltage Landscape Spot Light
$29.99 | Lamps Plus
Braun Women's Watch - BN31WHSLMHL - Braun
$145.00 | HORNE
Slamp | Cactus Prisma XM Table Lamp
$290.00 | YLighting
Harper Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Lechuza | Delta 40 Planter
YLiving.com