Vine suggestions

fernsk(z2 Canada)June 22, 2006

Hi all

I'm in the process of designing and planting a new flower bed and think that I would like to include some vines. My yard actually presents itself as a microclimate where I can grow up to zone 5 pretty successfully depending on snow cover which recently hasn't been a problem. My entire space is 17 x 17.5 feet with a 6 foot fence. The first area where I would like to include a vine [supported by a trellis or obilisk] is in the sw corner an area that gets some sun from about 8-12 but then is in shade - I should mention that my yard gets really hot during the summer because of a straight south location and white stucco and cement. I am going to plant a bugbane brunette in the same area but would like something to provide a backdrop and some extra height at least as tall as the fence. Any suggestions?

Fern

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wolfe15136(z6 PA)

Clematis. Then add more Clematis. They like their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 11:21AM
fernsk(z2 Canada)

Do you think that clematis would do okay against the white building? It would have a straight south exposure but would have a small raised bed in front of it with cucumbers growing in it. I've come to the conclusion that I might not really have room for a longterm vine near the bugbane.

Fern

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 11:38AM
posiegirl(5b)

Absolutely! There are so many different kinds of clematis that the hard part will be which one to choose. Then after that one shows you how beautiful it is you'll have other difficult choices -- which one next!!

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
The Garden Thief
*Sigh* My garden has been a contentious issue for me....
uaskigyrl
Food Garden over flood area in concrete backyard
I am renting a home in center city Philadelphia and...
design367
Questions about strawberries
I have a container sized strawberry plant and was wondering...
shadowfox306
flowerpot soil for edible plants?
beginning gardener here with what may be a stupid question......
kyochicago
Sources for milkweed around Brooklyn or Staten Island NY?
Hello, Know of any sources for milkweed - the usual...
ash1970_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™