Plants for 'Shady Sometimes'?

yellowbell(78728)April 1, 2005

Hi,

I have a privacy fence and am trying to have a garden along it. The sides that I am making the garden along are east and west, so in the morning the east is shaded by the fence, and in the afternoon the west is shaded. So my question is, what kinds of plants will do well in this area? The ones that say "partial shade"? Or does partial shade kind of mean "dappled shade"? Are full sun plants totally out of the question, as well as shade loving plants like coleus and caladiums? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Yes, they are both partial shade. The side that gets morning sun should be able to take plants that prefer shade or partial shade. The side that gets afternoon sun should be able to take most plants that prefer sun or partial shade. Many shade lovers can handle more sun if they are kept moist. With a little trial and error, you should find out what works and what doesn't. If you have specific plants you'd like to try, ask about them and people will be able to share their specific experiences.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 9:44PM
EGO45(6bCT)

Most common definitions of 'full sun' is 'more than 6 hours of sun' without specification, morning or evening. 'Part sun' is 3 to 6 hours, 'part shade' is 1 to 3 and 'full shade' is 1 hour or less.
How I understood your description , both sides either full sun or part-sun, not a part shade, but as Janet correctly pointed out, many shade lovers could take a lot of sun with adequate moisture.

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 11:41PM
yellowbell(78728)

Thanks, both posts were very helpful. I never realized that definitions of sun, part sun, etc. included the number of hours of sunlight. That really helps me figure out what kind of plants each side can have. My neighborhood is new, and there aren't any tall trees, so the only areas of shade are along the fence.

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 12:33PM
intheforest(4b Iowa)

I have a similar flowerbed but a little more shaded in AM and PM. Bergamonts, columbines, pansies, dianthus, spiderworts, lilies, hostas, allysum, toad lily, and 4:00 all grow very well for me.
Abbey

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Mystery Plant
I am looking to identify this plant. It has filled...
GardenMomma11
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Taller shrubs for a mostly shady area
Hi there! I live in Durham, NC and have an area in...
crabbygardener
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™