Rooftop Greenhouse / Terrarium

chillmarkJune 1, 2008

Hi! I live in a rowhouse in Baltimore and I'd like to get a small garden started with herbs and whatnot. I have little room in my backyard and it doesn't get much sunlight anyway. My thought was to configure something small that I could build onto the rail of my rooftop deck...like a teeny greenhouse. I need something more structural than just pots because the winds can get pretty rough here. But the heat and sun on the deck should be great.

Any ideas on designs for something like this? I'm a noobie gardener so use little words and speak slow...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
liquidcrayons

I live in Cleveland in an apartment so I have no green space. I am using containers and it is working great. First figure out what you want to grow. Keep it small at first because you don't want to overwhelm yourself and you can always expand. Next get a few pots that are deep enough for want you want to grow. Peppers are easy to grow for a newbie. Also get some books that helped me alot, if you have any more questions I can try to answer them. You can check out my garden at, www.thepepperproject.blogspot.com

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 12:35AM
More Discussions
A Treasure Trove of Urban Tomatoes!
I love being able to grow tomatoes indoors during the...
jll0306
Food Garden over flood area in concrete backyard
I am renting a home in center city Philadelphia and...
design367
Plant destruction by unknown animals
We find plants, onions, radishes, etc., pulled up out...
Detchemendy
Can I train pumpkin vines up a trellis or fence?
Hi all! Newbie here, so I apologize for any posting...
gingerkitty
Questions about strawberries
I have a container sized strawberry plant and was wondering...
shadowfox306
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™