My urban garden, season one.

howelbama(7 NJ)June 25, 2011

Here are some pictures of my urban garden. This is it's first season, and is sure to evolve.

I am growing some peppers, tomatoes, watermelons, muskmelons, strawberries, and various perrenial and annual ornamental plants.

Some are in containers, and some in the ground. Everything is drip or micro spray irrigated and can be controlled manually or automatically.

Enjoy the photos, and I look forward to any comments or feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IgardenerA(4)

That is a nice looking garden, I see you use some hydroponics stuff. I was wondering if i could rig something up like that. I look forward to results!

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 6:32PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

IgardenerA, yes I did use some hydro stuff, and everything is on drip/micro irrigation from mr landscaper brand so I don't have to worry much when I'm working and can't be around to water. Here is a link to my photo bucket account for more pics. I'll try to post more throughout the season.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 9:53PM
alison(6b/OH)

Looks lovely! I like how you've used the bamboo fencing, too -- very clever!

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 4:40PM
dirtygardener73(9a)

Nice. I love the reed mat walkway and the way you used it to disguise the one container.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 10:36AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I applaud the way you've mixed flowers-only plants with edibles. You've got a potager garden and the plants look great. I think it's more attractive to pollinators that way, too, so the harvest is heavier. Love what you have done and another compliment for your use of the bamboo stuff! Is it sold as a walkway or fencing? Do you mind sharing where you got it? It looks like you could put a thin layer of newspaper under that to keep the grass down. By thin, I would say 2-3 sheets because I think that would be sufficient and you wouldn't want a thicker layer holding moisture against the bamboo. It also looks like you can run the tire of your mower along it to have a trim-free edge. I have a spot in mind where I'd like to try that. So glad I looked at your pics. Thanks for sharing them.

Does the bama in your name mean you're in AL? The "8b AL" next to my name means I'm in zone 8b in Alabama. If you're interested, you can find your zone here and if you include it in your profile info, it will show up next to your name automatically when you say something on these forums. (When the forums aren't having a crazy moment like they sometimes do.) You can include the 2-letter for your state or not, up to you.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Need help with shade plantings
I need some advice and I chose this subcategory because...
Chris Cousineau
New urban garden
We moved into a new house last summer, and I'm working...
javakaty
Nosy Neighbor
My retired, next door neighbor seems to have taken...
DanZone4
Can I train pumpkin vines up a trellis or fence?
Hi all! Newbie here, so I apologize for any posting...
gingerkitty
New to Gardening, Need Advice
This will be my very first attempt at growing herbs,...
zaatarah
Sponsored Products
Kenroy Home Egress Collection Outdoor Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Teakwood Backless Rose Carved Bench
Signature Hardware
Traditional Vertical Radiator Cast Iron Style White 59 x 10.6 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Varaluz | Masquerade Pendant Light
$599.00 | YLighting
Ravella Lakai Diamond Aqua Rectangular 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$305.50 | Bellacor