The Real Accidental Gardener

valentinetbear(z6 PA)July 7, 2008

Trying to stop squirrels from eating my tomatoes has had a couple of unexpected results. Last year, I discovered neither squirrels nor pigeons like pumpkin seeds, after finding a four foot vine growing when I returned from vacation. I can't kill plants on purpose, so replanted it, and spent a lot of time redirecting its path, so it didn't wander into neighbor's yards. (I only have a 16' X 16' concrete yard, so container gardening is not optional.) 3 ripe pumpkins gave us homegrown, sugar free, pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, Christmas and after Christmas.

This year I tossed an uneaten acorn squash into our composter (large plastic trash can). I noticed a squirrel had started eating it, so figured they'd finish it off. Well, now the "composter" is my biggest container with 4-5' of acorn squash growth popping out the top, and now beginning to take over our steps and the tiny alleyway I have to get to, to turn on the spigot.

It's just flowering, and one is definitely female/spawning a squash. Can I trim it back? Or, more precisely, will it live when I DO trim it back? If it will live, any chance anyone have any helpful hints for the best way to trim it back? Maybe not such a good idea -- accidentally gardening. LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Hi Valentine,

I like this forum as much as I like the Vertical Gardening forum but both are extremely under-utilized. You'll wait forever for a response...post your question over at the Veggie forum and you'll get answers within 24 hours, otherwise don't hold your breath!

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
need ideas
Hi, I'm a senior with limited mobility. The yard is...
carol0512
Pain Points of Urban Gardeners
Hi dear urban gardeners! Can I ask you a question?:) Each...
aiflai
Flat Roof garden
I'm putting my garden on the roof of a concrete block...
kaktus_jak
The Garden Thief
*Sigh* My garden has been a contentious issue for me....
uaskigyrl
My garden design and limitations.
My yard is small, and since a pipeline runs through...
Jan L.
Sponsored Products
David Bromstad Yellow "Flowers in Unity" Artwork
Grandin Road
WallsNeedLove Summertime Flowers Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP18-8FT
$68.00 | Hayneedle
Alpine Furniture Midtown 5 Piece Counter Height Dining Set with Black Chairs - A
$727.00 | Hayneedle
Butterfly Cast Iron Hanging Plant Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware
Pink Rose Garden 3-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Sun Joe Saw Joe 8-Inch 6.5-Amp Electric Pole Chain Saw
Overstock.com
Butterfly Meadow Dinnerware Set
$39.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Navy/Beige 2 ft. 3 in. x 14 ft.
$88.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™