The Real Accidental Gardener

valentinetbear(z6 PA)July 7, 2008

Trying to stop squirrels from eating my tomatoes has had a couple of unexpected results. Last year, I discovered neither squirrels nor pigeons like pumpkin seeds, after finding a four foot vine growing when I returned from vacation. I can't kill plants on purpose, so replanted it, and spent a lot of time redirecting its path, so it didn't wander into neighbor's yards. (I only have a 16' X 16' concrete yard, so container gardening is not optional.) 3 ripe pumpkins gave us homegrown, sugar free, pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, Christmas and after Christmas.

This year I tossed an uneaten acorn squash into our composter (large plastic trash can). I noticed a squirrel had started eating it, so figured they'd finish it off. Well, now the "composter" is my biggest container with 4-5' of acorn squash growth popping out the top, and now beginning to take over our steps and the tiny alleyway I have to get to, to turn on the spigot.

It's just flowering, and one is definitely female/spawning a squash. Can I trim it back? Or, more precisely, will it live when I DO trim it back? If it will live, any chance anyone have any helpful hints for the best way to trim it back? Maybe not such a good idea -- accidentally gardening. LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Hi Valentine,

I like this forum as much as I like the Vertical Gardening forum but both are extremely under-utilized. You'll wait forever for a response...post your question over at the Veggie forum and you'll get answers within 24 hours, otherwise don't hold your breath!

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Indoor Yucca help
I've had this yucca for just over a year. I'm in Denver...
sdHolladay
Half sunny and half rainy almost everyday
Hi. I'm very new to gardening. Gardening is something...
warpatato
New to Gardening, Need Advice
This will be my very first attempt at growing herbs,...
zaatarah
growing Vegetables
I am just starting out trying to grow some vegetables...
hbf_46
flowerpot soil for edible plants?
beginning gardener here with what may be a stupid question......
kyochicago
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™