bottomless containers on concrete in school garden, Help!

mandm_schoolAugust 28, 2010

I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I am running a school garden that is in the middle of a quad area. It is 5 beds (3 x 6 foot and 11inch deep) wood with no bottoms. They sit on concrete. They were previously lined with landscape fabric but this has posed a problem with far too much water loss. So this year we lined with plastic with drainage holes cut into it and now I have the major problem of putting soil back.

Unfortunatly the soil I found at the bottoms and realy for most of the container was construction leftovers. It has rocks, and is realy dense.

Can I amend it with vermiculite or moss? Or do I have to start over with potting mix?

Any advice would be helpful.

I will post pictures shortly.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lathyrus_odoratus(5A-IL)

My guess is that the folks in the Container Gardening area would be able to help you in case you don't get the answers you need in this forum.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 9:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melikeeatplants

Why don't you add bottoms? Buy plywood (they may even cut it to size for you at lumber yard/store), drill 1/2 in holes, add landscape fabric if you like, elevate it with some old bricks, (distributed to support the weight of the bottom/dirt). I think that would solve the problem....

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
New to Gardening, Need Advice
This will be my very first attempt at growing herbs,...
zaatarah
New urban garden
We moved into a new house last summer, and I'm working...
javakaty
The Garden Thief
*Sigh* My garden has been a contentious issue for me....
uaskigyrl
flowerpot soil for edible plants?
beginning gardener here with what may be a stupid question......
kyochicago
Sources for milkweed around Brooklyn or Staten Island NY?
Hello, Know of any sources for milkweed - the usual...
ash1970_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™