Creeping Hydrangea

Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)April 25, 2013

while this is a shot of last year (in flower), it is fully leafed out as I write and am looking forward to even a more robust bloom this year. It is running up an 80' red oak.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

That's fantastic! I planted one of these years ago on a giant cottonwood tree but had to move before it had a chance to do much of anything. Absolute gorgeous! Great job, thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:20AM
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Question. Do you see anything negative about running this plant up a mature shade tree in your experience?(increasing insect activity that could weaken the oak)

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:16AM

Native vine on native tree = nature's way. I believe you will find reinforcement on this if you search, and surely others will come along and give their opinion as well, one way or the other. Only wish I had some experience of value to share as the grammar of the post virtually requires my response. Bouncing the ball "out there!"

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:33AM
gardengal48

Nothing native about climbing hydrangea :-) But growing climbing hydrangeas into and up trees is a very common practice. In my area they tend to be grown up into high limbed native conifers, as that's what abounds. I don't see why a shade tree would not work equally as well, provided it is of appropriate size to accomodate the climber (these can get huge with time) and the foliage of one doesn't interfer with the foliage of the other.

If the climber was evergreen, there would be more of a concern - the foliage would trap moisture against the tree trunk and limbs, increasing the potential for rot and fungal issues and the weight of the climber could be limiting as well. Since this hydrangea is deciduous, no worries there.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 4:21PM

Thanks, GG! Somehow "OK to plant on a mature tree" morphed into "native" in my mind over the past decade. Thanks for the correction!

Birdsong, I showed my Mom this pic and now she wants one too. Funny, she wasn't enthusiastic when I planted one in OH - maybe because that was MY yard, not hers. LOL! If satellite images were a little clearer, I might be able to see it, probably a big, mature thing like yours now...

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
Mystery Plant
I am looking to identify this plant. It has filled...
GardenMomma11
My shade plant order just came in!
I ordered from Park Seed's perrenial sale and my plants...
posierosie_zone7a__
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™