Hardy container plants on concrete

sarahsgardenOctober 15, 2010

I need to find hearty plants to put in 16" square planter boxes that are located on concrete at our school. There are 34 planter boxes in the courtyard. I think lantana will work, along with boxwood, heavenly bamboo, some types of rosemary, lavendar, and sage. What are your recommendations. We need some color and some variety, but don't want to replace these plants often. We are located in the Santa Clarita Valley and have hot summers and mild winters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

First question would have to be - how much do the kids respect the plantings? If they sit on, walk over, drop rubbish in, then you'll need to plant something different from that which you'd plant if care was taken.

I'd be a bit wary about the rosemary and such. Bees are attracted to these plants - and some kids are highly allergic to stings.

What's locally native for you? If you have any natural science work as part of the Science curriculum then the planting could be a useful resource as well as an attractive feature.

Otherwise - perennial coloured grasses and, perhaps, Echeveria species or varieties?

Bookmark   December 27, 2010 at 9:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bonariensis

I had great success neglecting plants like cosmos (several varieties, and you should deadhead to keep the blooms coming, but that goes for lantana too), russian sage, coreopsis (also lots of varieties - I like tickseed as well as moonbeam); and the wonderful biennial lychnis coronaria, a.k.a. rose campion. They were all tough plants in my garden, and the non-perennials were good self-seeders.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Small Area/Clay Heavy Soil Help
I was able to get away with make a decent sized garden...
StaceyVonWolf
growing Vegetables
I am just starting out trying to grow some vegetables...
hbf_46
My garden design and limitations.
My yard is small, and since a pipeline runs through...
Jan L.
Japanese Kwanzan location and other things
Hi guys, Ive been visiting the forum as a guest for...
markjg
Nosy Neighbor
My retired, next door neighbor seems to have taken...
DanZone4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™