Crape Myrtles in Pots...

botanical_drifterJanuary 22, 2011

Curious if anyone has them growing in pots? Space is very limited here so I have opted to plant them in as pots as I can not do with out them. lol

When is the best time to repot? Now, that they are in their catatonic state for winter?

Also, anyone on the forum collect seed from their Crapes? I am interested in starting a few from seed come spring time.

Thanks.

botanical_drifter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deep_south_gardener(z9b)

I have dug up seedlings from my garden that had to be a volunteers from my neighbors yard. One's been in a pot for a couple of years, but I'll be transplanting it this spring. I think the have dwarf varieties now. That would work for pots. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 6:25PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Crapemyrtles are often considered weedy, they reproduce from seed so readily. It's important to remember, though, that they will not reproduce true to their hybrid mother plant from seed. There may be a change in color, disease resistance, etc.

Yes, they can easily be grown in containers, but care should be taken to come up with a good potting medium. I grow all of my woody container plants in a combination of pine bark fines and the coarse ingredients found in a typical bonsai mix. It drains perfectly, stays stable for a long time, and is highly porous.

You can also root prune Crapemyrtles occasionally, enabling you to keep them in the same container for many years without running out of root space.

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 4:31PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Well, nurseries grow them in pots. So, yeah! :)

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 1:29AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Nurseries grow them in pots on a temporary basis, as that vast majority of consumers will purchase them with the intent to plant in the ground. botanical_drifter wishes to grow them in containers on a permanent basis.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the cultivar could make a difference! There are some crapes that are very small, dwarf, or miniature. Others will grow quickly to be very large. So be mindful of that, botanical!

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™