Looking for load a soil & good testing kit

McrakinMarch 24, 2014

I'm trying to help my dad out, he has a garden in the backyard but he says its very swampy and last year he did not get that good of a crop. He wants to get a load of soil so he can raise it up out of the swampy area (drainage is a problem the garden is about 5 feet away from a 3 foot high hill that backs up into an ally that backs up into a shopping center. He has had good crops before but he thinks the water is becoming an issue. I think the soil may just need something that I could detect with a soil testing kit. Anyone have any recommendations of what kind (looking for cheap (price wise)) of soil to order and a good testing kit?

He always grows tomatoes, jalapeno, habaneros. Then he grows other stuff depending on what he finds at store.

The zone thing at the top says USDA zone 6 we are in central Ohio

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Miguelovic(7a-BC)

Can't give much advice wise on the soil, but those testing kits are horribly inaccurate.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 3:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zackey(GA 8b)

Get a soil test done at your local Agricultural center. They are University based and do intensive studies. Please don't buy any kind of meter for soil test or moisture. They are inaccurate . It only cost 7 bucks here for the test. I have to send it in and pay postage. Some states you just have to take soil samples in and they will test it right there in the office. It will tell you what you need and don't need.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Gardening Apps for iPhone?
I am looking for an iPhone application to keep track...
succulentabus
pineapple buds or babies
we took the little buds off the plants in costa rica...
poolman4
Need a source for Chinese tallow tree berries
Does anyone know where I can purchase branches of Chinese...
morgnz
Territorial Seed Company
Does anyone have personal experience with Territorial...
ilovegardening
Mint and Sage
Hi, my name is Callum and I go to school in Point Loma...
CallumSchool
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™