Can Saskatoon berries grow in the South?

chrisms(MS z8a)January 20, 2009

They are also called Juneberries. They are hardy in the far north, but I don't know if they can take Southern heat.

God bless,

CKB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Yes, you can grow Amelanchier in the South. It is not usually Amelanchier alnifolia (Saskatoon Serviceberry), but there are others. Species of Amelanchier naturally found in the South:

Amelanchier arborea
Amelanchier canadensis
Amelanchier laevis
Amelanchier stolonifera

You might also be able to find cultivars called 'Autumn Brilliance' and 'Princess Diana'.

Wonderful plants and the birds love the berries too.

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 6:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonebananas_gw

I once read in a horticultural book that early in the 20th Centry (1920s I believe) there was a commercial orchard of one of the dwarfish (~4-6 ft) juneberries in Atlanta. It wouldn't have been long after that that rabbiteye blueberries became cultivated, which may explain the demise of interest in the south. I have several kinds of Amelanchier growing in central SC but have lost track of what kind in most cases. Riverbanks Zoo here has a small tree that has the most prodigeous growth of pretty large juneberries I have seen. I am going to ask for some scionwood, and get seeds this spring whether or not I can graft. They lost track of the selection name decades ago.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
desert rose
Can anyone tell me how to care for a desert rose? My...
margyrose
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™