Hornbeam

altimusMarch 9, 2010

Anyone know of a reliable source for Hornbeam? We're replacing a labyrinth of Miscanthus planted along the tops of 18" earthen berms & need about 60 plants of reasonable size/cost.

Also considering fast growing evergreens since time/labor aren't an issue but cost is- we've no intention of ordering 60 tiny seedlings from the UK & cuttings haven't worked out at all.

Really tragic how few people use this plant in American landscapes.

Cheers & thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Which Hornbeam are you searching for? With the reference to UK you are probably looking for the european one but there is a native hornbeam also. Several nurseries are supposed to carry the American one including Forest Farm

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 8:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
altimus

I was looking for European Hornbeam and/or European Beech. We've grown the native & it isn't quite as... well mannered.
Thanks for the tip- called up Forest Farm & they didn't even have the American version. Still looking but I'm inches away from having a friend ship a few dozen from the UK. Perhaps going through a landscape architect is the key?
This is starting to feel like searching for Heleborus when I was 16, in the mid-nineties when they were still hard to get- I ended up ordering Heleborus SEEDS from the UK.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Territorial Seed Company
Does anyone have personal experience with Territorial...
ilovegardening
Park Seed - wrong seeds in package
I ordered from Park Seed for the first time. I have...
FarmGarden2014
Arizonapottery.com
Has anyone ever used Arizonapottery.com? Yay or nay...
Klebehj11
pineapple buds or babies
we took the little buds off the plants in costa rica...
poolman4
Bay Area (CA) Source for Peeler Cores
I am searching high and low for peeler cores (a mis-used...
mdbrown
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™