Hornbeam

altimusMarch 9, 2010

Anyone know of a reliable source for Hornbeam? We're replacing a labyrinth of Miscanthus planted along the tops of 18" earthen berms & need about 60 plants of reasonable size/cost.

Also considering fast growing evergreens since time/labor aren't an issue but cost is- we've no intention of ordering 60 tiny seedlings from the UK & cuttings haven't worked out at all.

Really tragic how few people use this plant in American landscapes.

Cheers & thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Which Hornbeam are you searching for? With the reference to UK you are probably looking for the european one but there is a native hornbeam also. Several nurseries are supposed to carry the American one including Forest Farm

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 8:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
altimus

I was looking for European Hornbeam and/or European Beech. We've grown the native & it isn't quite as... well mannered.
Thanks for the tip- called up Forest Farm & they didn't even have the American version. Still looking but I'm inches away from having a friend ship a few dozen from the UK. Perhaps going through a landscape architect is the key?
This is starting to feel like searching for Heleborus when I was 16, in the mid-nineties when they were still hard to get- I ended up ordering Heleborus SEEDS from the UK.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Territorial Seed Company
Does anyone have personal experience with Territorial...
ilovegardening
Planning Your Summer Garden: Food Crops
There are a number of delicious food crops you can...
lindsay0419
Has anyone ordered from Wayside Gardens
Sorry, I got the name wrong in my recent post. I've...
John_zone6
Gardening Apps for iPhone?
I am looking for an iPhone application to keep track...
succulentabus
Sourcing Fragrant Abelia
I've been having a very tough time trying to source...
sheislaura
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™