Heavy Carolina Jessamine

kativ8January 17, 2010

I have a Carolina Jessamine which has attached itself to a small trellis. The trellis is against a large brick wall but is not fastened to the wall. I would like to attach the Jessamine itself to the wall, but I can't find any fasteners that wouldn't crack either the brick or the mortar. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I've never, ever had any problems attaching something to the side of a brick home with masonry nails. Are you saying that you have had issues?

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 2:30PM
kativ8

I haven't tried. When I asked the local hardware store what type of nails to use, they were no help. I didn't want to attempt to nail the vine to the brick without using the right nails. If I use masonry nails, do I need to drill into the brick first? Any problems with cracking the brick or mortar?

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 6:27PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I've never had any problems nailing masonry nails into mortar. No drilling required.

You can also use concrete screws or anchor bolts. Drilling may be needed, but use a masonry bit.

You can't use these products directly into bricks; use the mortar.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 12:57PM
oceandweller(8B)

I like the dollar tree coated wire that is like the stuff you find on bread bags. It is reusable for things like tomatoes etc and much easier to take off than say planters tape or twine.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 12:30PM
jay_7bsc(8a)

Why not make things a lot easier and use cup hooks? You should be able to twist them into the cement using your fingertips. Then, string twine, a thin wire, or some other supporting framework among the cup hooks. Then train the Carolina jessamine onto the framework. Carolina jessamine, as you know, is vigorous but rather delicate in its habit of growth.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
My avocado tree is not doing good
I bought this choquette tree from a nursery in Florida...
xdxproxdx
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Home soil testing kits
Are there any good ones out there?.
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™