Tall plant or shrub for back of shade garden

chezmoose(z4/5 MI)May 1, 2006

I have a fairly large shade garden (approx. 20'x20'), kind of a semi-circular shape and have left room in the back center for a large plant or shrub. Now I just need help deciding what to plant there! The area is under maple trees but gets some dappled sunlight throughout the day and there's open sky on the north side. We're zone 4 but are pretty sheltered because of the maple trees and get a lot of snow. The soil is pretty sandy but has been amended with a couple yards of Dairy Doo.

I would like something that provides a lot of visual interest all season long. I am considering the Golden Shadows Pagoda Dogwood or possibly mountain laurel. Any comments about either of these or alternate suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerb2(z5oh)

kerria japonica, but maybe its not hardy enough, no does it offer at lot of interest in the fall. how about a vibernum?

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 3:46PM
chezmoose(z4/5 MI)

Actually kerria do quite well up here (if the mice don't get them in the winter!)
I have a variegated one in front of my house with single flowers. It doesn't seem to grow as fast as the others, but it's a cute, airy shrub. Kerria are one of those really cool shrubs that not too many people seem to know about....

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 7:54AM
ImaHockeyMom(SW Mich--Zone 5)

Hydrangea. The experts on the hydrangea forum could make suggestions on which variety would be best suited for your zone. I'm in Z5 and my All Summer Beauty definitely held up to its name last summer!

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
Carmelia Stem Dying Back
My camelia is dying back. Stem became woody and dry...
WTWO
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™