First aid for dicentra exima?

TaraRose(z5/6 MO)May 5, 2005

I've got this dicentra exima that I'm slowly torturing to death. It came back last year after I thought I'd killed it by breaking the stem off (horrible trowel accident, I'd rather not talk about it) and then I can't remember what happened to it. (I got married last year; I can't remember lots of things.) But much to my surprise, the poor thing has put up a leaf about the size of a nickel and a flower stalk that's maybe two inches high, complete with flowers. I have to admire its perseverance.

So I'm wondering, what can I do to help this poor thing build up some reserves this year? Should I fertilize it? Do they need lots of water? My bed is kind of dry. I'd really like to make up for past offenses by nursing this poor baby back to health.

TR

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Barbaraga(GA 7a)

Make sure your baby is in good soil and keep it watered during dry spells and soon it'll have hundreds of offspring. Most flowers need about an inch of rain per week during the growing months.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 2:03PM
EGO45(6bCT)

You may add some organic matters around it (composted manure would be great) and water it. Next year you'll not recognise it.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:17AM
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

I think the dicentras are hardier than they look. My husband didn't like mine and one day I came out to check on it, it was only an inch out of the ground but it was smushed to smitherenes. I asked my hubby (jokingly of course) if he ground it with his heel of his boot or just stomped on it in a jig-like-fashion and he apologized saying he didn't even see it...ya right! ;o) At any rate a few days later 3 more shoots came up out of the mush that looked more like rhubarb pie than a bleeding heart. A few days after that my 10 year old son was doing "TRICKS" on his skateboard on my cement patio (go figure) and fell off his board smack dab onto another bleeding heart. It too was smashed to mush and I was starting to think there is a conspiracy of the worst kind going on here. I was sure it was a gone'er but a few days later a shoot came up and now it's about 3" tall and with several branches. And then if that's not enough miracles, 2 of the Bleeding hearts that died last summer due to drought while we were on holidays came back and they are half a foot tall now. So all in all I have to say that even though it's kinda a "squishy" plant, it must be quite hardy in terms of having it's stalk squashed ;o)

Barb
Southern Ontario

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™