Shade tolerant plants for greenbelt garden

lhale3May 11, 2009

Hi!

I just bought a condo in Burlington VT and would like to plant something a little more attractive in the greenbelt (the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street) than the weeds that are growing right now. There are two large trees in the belt now, so I'd need something that would be ok growing around roots without disturbing them since the trees are city property. I'd prefer perennials since I don't have a lot of extra money to buy annuals over and over again. I'd love to hear any suggestions! Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Apparently VT has a different definition of a "greenbelt" than I'm used to, as that refers to a natural area surrounding a development here......what you describe are referred to here as parking or "hell" strips :-)

What kind of trees are currently planted? Generally these areas receive a fair amount of sun, as the parking strip trees are required to be smallish or high limbed to allow sufficient clearance for vehicles and parking. And because these tend to be high traffic areas also and can get a lot of abuse, durable, low maintenance plants like groundcovers are best suited for this purpose. I've attached an appropriate link to help you choose.

Here is a link that might be useful: groundcovers for Vermont

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
Whats wrong with my Bleeding Heart?
Hi I bought a bareroot bleeding heart/dicentra back...
somba75
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™