Can't choose between Autumn Sunset and Scent from Above

peachymomo(Ca 8)August 11, 2009

I'm going to plant some climbing roses on an arbor next season and I can't choose between Autumn Sunset and Scent from Above, I'm also open to other yellow or yellow/apricot blend climbers. Disease resistance and fragrance would be nice to have, if possible all in one rose. Suggestions, anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phatboyrose(N/W FL. - 8)

I personaly didn't like SCENT FROM ABOVE. The one I had was a very poor performer but I'm just one person and I may have just gotten a bad rose it happens. Its only got a 6.8 ARS rating. Only two yellow climers I have are GRAHAM THOMAS & GOLDEN CELEBRATION. They are both are listed as shrubs but mine have covered my abor. LOL
Harold

GRAHAM THOMAS

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 11:34PM
boxofrox(z8 PNW)

I'd probably have to second Harold on Scent from Above. I do have it and I like it, but I don't love it. In it's defense, I have it sited as a backdrop to a 'Briotti' red horsechestnut, probably not the best possible situation. It's in it's 3rd year and is slowly improving so I haven't given up on it. I do like the bloom but the foliage is a bit prone. Believe it or not my first choice was Autumn Sunset which they didn't have :-)

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 12:54AM
becky_rose(NCa)

I like 'Polka'. I've only seen it in other people's yards, but it is disease-resistant.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 11:41PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

'Royal Sunset' may be too apricot_y for you. It's a soft color and this allergy-laden nose can delight in its fragrance 6 feet away.

Some years mine has a bit of blackspot (no spray) toward the end of the season. I've never seen rust or mildew on it.

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 11:41PM
roserobin_gw

If you want healthy foliage, disease resistance, nice scent and lots of bloom, you can't go wrong with Autumn Sunset. It is a sport of Westerland and is one of the healthiest roses with good rebloom and a nice scent. Thorny though! I have grown both Westerlant (more orange) and Autumn Sunset and they are great performers.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Mini thank you
I've spent the last few days going through your 167...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Roses"P"
Now for the Ps... I'm sure this is going to be a very...
bethnorcal9
Wheee!! February roses for Las Vegas
the roses that went in late spring last year are now...
lorrihz
Randy Scott (A Great White HT)
This beautiful white HT came out in 2008 and we got...
ron_and_susan
A girl and her roses!! Lol
A bunch of roses I cut this morning!! Enjoy!!
Prettypetals_GA_7-8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™