Anyone grow Corydalis?

donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)January 22, 2008

I love the look of Corydalis: ferny, beautiful flowers, etc. I know they are problematic in the south, but I have read of two or three that sound promising: Corydalis ochroleuca: maiden-hair fernlike foliage with a white bloom with yellow and green spots on upper lip of bloom; Corydalis cheilanthifolia: very fernlike (frondlike), evergreen, foliage with yellow blooms; and Corydalis Blackberry wine.

Anyone have real experience with these? If you've had success, please describe your growing conditions. I have a bed that gets about 75 to 80 percent shade all summer with moist well-drained soil. There is no competition from tree roots. On the down-side, I live in east central Mississippi, home of "hot and muggy". What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgia-rose

Corydalis cheilanthifolia, C. lutea and C bulbosa(solida?) do very well in the South. The first 2 species are easily started from seed and are prolific seeders, once established, but in 20 years, have not had one seedling from C. bulbosa. C. ochroleuca was twice a short lived perennial for me.
None of mine seem to require a special location or soil, however the C. lutea & C. bulbosa are in shade. C. cheilanthifolia springs up everywhere, shade, sun, raised beds, clay banks, under shrubs, hedges. in the lawn, potted plants, etc. I don't mind, because it looks attractrive wherever it appears.

Bookmark   January 23, 2008 at 10:45AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Wow! Thanks for the info, Georgia. Do you have any idea where I could find seed for cheilanthifolia?

Bookmark   January 23, 2008 at 2:44PM
georgia-rose

I am unsure of my source of C. cheilanthifolia, but could have been T & M, which I stopped ordering from several years past, because of generally poor germination rate of their seed.
I am linking a seed company in Texas that has decent ratings at Dave's GWD. but I have had no personal experience with them. Click on their New for 2007 link, for C. cheilanthifolia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Digital Raingardens

Bookmark   January 23, 2008 at 8:06PM
barbarag_happy

Seed corydalis lutea and corydalis sempervirens are available from JL Hudson, Seedman-PO Box 337-La Honda, CA. 94020. jlhudsonseeds.net. I've purchased many seeds from JL Hudson; packets are generous & germination high. The title of the catalog is "The 2008 Ethnobotanical Catalog of Seeds"--black&white, looks homemade, no photos but great info..Corydales Papaveraeceae (formerly FUMARIACEAE) easily grown mostly hardy perennials, freely blooming in poor soil & full sun or part shade. Some slow to germinate & best sown in fall, the annuals best sown in spring or fall. The author says the catalog is "uncopyright" so they won't mind my quoting here!

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
mimosa pruning
I was given a 1 yr old potted mimosa and planted in...
Diane_Warneke
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
Lilac for the South
Wayside has a lilac in their catalog which they say...
Joeray
Sponsored Products
Jenny Sofa with Slipcover in Brown
| Dot & Bo
Pro-Series Tonneau Truck Bed Cover - Dodge Ram
Beyond Stores
Concord Shaggy Waves Natural Round Beige Area Rug
$239.00 | LuxeDecor
BDI | Comma End Table
YLiving.com
International Caravan Acacia 3-drawer Storage Bench
Overstock.com
New Unique Purple/Black Balouch Runner 3x10 Tribal Lizard Hand Knotted Rug P902
BH Sun Inc
Colonial Mills Ticking Stripe Stair Tread - Rectangle - 8 x 28 in. - Set of 13 -
$265.99 | Hayneedle
Land and Sea Metal Map
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™