Shade plants for florida?

coyleMay 15, 2008

I am trying to find some stuff to plant under our oak trees in the shade. Doesn't get much water usually but sometimes it does rain a lot so...far I've got selected: ferns, mexican bluebell, cast iron plant, coleus, mondo grass, english ivy and honeysuckle; this is what I am thinking but would appreciate some ideas that would look best in an ap't complex setting. The front of ea unit has about 150sq ft & is pretty shady but does get some sun here and there. Mostly I am thinking of ground cover with some accent plants for around the trees etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I would certainly also ask on the Florida forum as not a lot of people have experience with the Florida climate. I certainly would not recommend English ivy and the honeysuckle will not get enough sun to bloom if it is in the shade.

As a category, epimediums have become a great shade favorite in other parts of the country and there are lots of choices now. I'm sure you know that variegated plants help lighten up a shady area without flowers.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 3:36PM
sayhellonow

Ditto on the English Ivy - I would NEVER plant it anywhere. Hydrangea, Azalea, Digitalis (foxglove), and Hosta should all work in Florida shade.

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 4:45PM
Martina DeLuca

Hostas will not grow in Florida 9b, too hot. Calatheas are a good, colorful alternative. Alocasias are my personal favorite for the shade and variegated peace lily.

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
what are good plants for heavy shade?
I have a heavily-shaded backyard (maybe 2-4 hours of...
cajun-qn81
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Cover in the Shade
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
North East facing bed in 8a
I have read back through the history some and am finding...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
petasite japonicus giganteus
hi there, i was wondering if any of you knew of a website...
andreajoy
Toss Ligularia 'the rocket'?
I have 'the rocket' and Dentata. I like Dentata a bunch,...
GeeDavey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™