pruning beauty berry

charlenems8(MS8)January 3, 2005

when does one cut back the beauty berry bush and how much?

thanks charlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

The rabbits normally prune mine back sometime in the winter and they chomp it back all the way to the main stump. It returns every year and flowers wonderfully.

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 8:21AM
ShadyGrove5(z6b TN)

Are you talking about Callicarpa Americana (American BeautyBerry)? I have several together and we just had this conversation at my house. I did not prune them last year and I noticed that the best berries were on new growth. This year we have decided to experiment and prune half the plants down to the ground and leave the others unpruned for comparison. Any other opinions or experience?

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 11:37PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

I think the berries look best on arching branches - so I don't prune. (Of course the deer do.)

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 5:10AM
gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)

Here in the sandhills of SC beauty berry grows wild and around my horse pastures was a 'weed' albeit a pretty one. I wacked it down regularly and with abandon. It did not seem to care - it kept coming back anyway. Now that I don't own horses anymore and am starting an entirely new garden on an acre - I am actually thinking about planting it on purpose!

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 6:48AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

My plant still develops arching branches with it being pruned back yearly by the rabbits.

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 11:34AM
lsmcw(7b-AL)

They bloom on new wood so prune in late winter-early spring. lmw

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 3:01PM
Barbaraga(GA 7a)

I read years ago to prune beautyberry in the fall to about 1 ft high. Mine forms a nice arching plant in the spring of about 5'. I forgot to prune the last couple of years and it's huge and crowding nearby native azaleas. Thanks for the reminder for this year!

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 10:54AM
spage1(7)

Can these plants be purchased? I remember these from my childhood and would love to have one, love the flowing type of branches and they are beautiful used in flower arrangements. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 10:10PM
serenoa(z8b, FL)

A friend of mine used to mow his beautyberry to the ground early each spring. It was compact and beautiful for the rest of the growing season. My plants are on a woodland edge and I let them grow however they wish. I think they look fine at eight feet tall. I think you can trim the plants to fit your space. They will look good and birds will appreciate the fruits. A local nursery should be able to get one for anyone in the southeastern U.S.

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 6:59PM
StacyInAustin_z8b

Prune to the ground as it flowers & produces berries on new wood.

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 11:46PM
danbo(8b MS Coast)

Though not often I do see they being sold. Seems a few years ago White Flower was selling them mail order. Locally the Crosby Arboretum near Picayune, MS sells them in their periodic native plant sales. (White and red) However they grow wild here. You often get them as volunteers.

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 7:45AM
bigred(z8 Ark.)

Find one on the roadside come fall and snatch some seeds. They're very easy to grow from seed and pretty durn fast too.

PP

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 7:30AM
Pterostyrax(8a)

You can find a number of different Callicarpa species and cultivars at various mail order nurseries. ForestFarm immediately comes to mind, but there are a number of others as well including Woodlanders, Nurseries Caroliniana, Greenwood Nurseries, etc.

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 10:17AM
ShadyGrove5(z6b TN)

All right, kiss them goodbye! I pruned to the ground today! Hoping for strong new growth and lots of berries. I have had these plants for two years so it is a good time to experiment. Thanks for the opinions.

Bookmark   February 6, 2005 at 9:45PM
shelley_r(7b NC)

I hope its not too late to prune beautyberry since my dog just did the job for me. I was planting a native azalea and just had my back to the dog (a lab, of course) for a few minutes. When I turned around he'd just finished the last branch. He got it about 6 inches from the ground. Just like they say to do it! You just don't know how thankful I was when I found this thread. I didn't know they could be pruned that severely.

Shelley
Aided by Jesse, the live pruning, mulching machine

Bookmark   February 27, 2005 at 3:09PM
woodsworm(7a NC)

I have some American Beautyberry seed I refrigerated from last fall. Email me if you want me to mail you some, SSAE, etc.

Bookmark   March 8, 2005 at 7:51PM
sandilu

I have just purchased a beautyberry bush. It is about 2 and 1/2 feet tall. When would be the best size to start pruning with out killing it. How large does it get if you prun every year?

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 10:01AM
robsol1980(8a Atlanta GA)

I have Callicarpa Americana and prune it in winter (Jan -Feb) after most of the pretty berries have frozen off or been eaten by birds. I find that the shrub gets kind of gangly if it isn't pruned. Mine stays nice and tidy with about 1/2 pruning. Dont prune too late or you may lose some of the flowers and berries as the new growth produces them.

Rob in ATL

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 12:09AM
catspower

I dug up 5 Beauty Berry bushes in the woods behind my pond. There are several more I am going to get in a day or two. They are beautiful. I do a lot of plant, seed, and bulb trading on Dave's Garden.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 8:57PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

There are some tree forms in the Clemson Botanical gardens. They bloom prolifically and are gorgeous. I prefer them as small shrubby trees.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
Beautiful Ideas for Oak Savanna
Anyone have any ideas of things to add to an Oak Savanna...
Savannagirl
Rooting Lantana?
I've had success rooting many things, but not sure...
msjacki
Fine garden April issue, no southeast pics
Why not? Steve aitken Why no southeast pics?
josephene_gw
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™