Looking for UK seed potato varieties

Bo Svenson(z8 PNW)April 6, 2009

I am looking for seed potatoes of UK varieties, especially one named 'Epicure', that can be shipped to the U.S. I have done a fair amount of searching using Google but have not been able to find any retailers offering this variety, or even much information on any regulations that might restrict the export of plant material to the US from the UK. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Check Canadian sources. It is almost impossible for anyone to import to this country from Europe (legally) because of the differing export restrictions of both UK and the EU. It is possible with an import license but the cost is prohibitive.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 10:04PM
Bo Svenson(z8 PNW)

Thanks Maifleur, that's a start and it answers one of my main questions.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 6:31PM
maifleur01

Check the Universities of Washington and Idaho sites. Both have a list you can find on the net of potatoes being grown or researched in their states. Your potato was listed on both sites, along with several others that sounded interesting. Berry potatoes anyone?

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 11:27PM
Bo Svenson(z8 PNW)

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately, even though the variety I'm looking for (and many others) are listed on the WSU and Idaho sites, but there are no vendors listed. It is easy to find *information* about "non-standard" varieties of potatoes and other food crops, but finding someone who sells them is another story altogether.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 5:09PM
maifleur01

What information if any did the two universities give you when you called/emailed them for information?

Probably too late to plant this year but maybe next?

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Ordering from Tennessee Nursery (tnnursery.net)
Beware of this company. I have a very bad experience...
oraclexml
Shampoo Ginger Awapuhi
Does anyone know a good source that I can get Shampoo...
bobvisaaa
Has anyone ordered from Wayside Gardens
Sorry, I got the name wrong in my recent post. I've...
John_zone6
Arizonapottery.com
Has anyone ever used Arizonapottery.com? Yay or nay...
Klebehj11
Territorial Seed Company
Does anyone have personal experience with Territorial...
ilovegardening
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™