Dwarf Bugbane/Black Snakeroot - Cimicifuga 'Chocoholic'

tuliper(7B RVA)May 25, 2012

I've just gotten my hands on a Chocoholic Bugbane, and am reading differing stuff online. Some say this variety can take a good bit of sun? I'm going to plant it this wknd in my mom's shade garden - which only receives less than 4 hrs of the earliest morning sun, then full shade the rest of the day. My questions are; A: Will it reach it's full potential in mostly shade color wise? (I love how lush the darkest purple it's already displaying looks.) B: It'll be by Ferns & Astilbe so I'll be attentive of watering needs but it is Southern Md and I'm worried of establishing it over the summer. So is it really as finicky as what I'm reading? One article said no variety of Cimicifuga has ever grown well for him besides Chocoholic and even that had never bloomed! I will be amending the soil with a big bag of loam. Please someone with experience on this plant help me! I'll have it planted at my mother's business front and it must look perfect! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistascott(7A VA)

I know it has been awhile since you asked, but Bugbane really thrives in shade (even full shade). It sounds like the four hours of early morning sun would be perfect. The most important thing is consistently moist soil, though. If it dries out, the leaves will brown and curl.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Alternative for Drift Roses?
I love drift roses, which are essentially dwarf, bushy...
trclac
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
Heavy shade, raised bed, shallow soil ideas?
I'm looking for ideas for a planted area at a commercial...
comarley
hardy plants for light/medium shade?
My new (to me) house has a well established shrub garden...
kristin_c
pinch-hitting for arum italicum?
Hello! My recently inherited shade garden has a bed...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™