cheap plantings

arcy_gwMay 14, 2008

Here in midstate MN we are having a terrible time getting it to be spring. I woke today to 38 degrees!! It should be in the 50's. I don't dare plant annuals but I had a great time getting some porch pots planted up last week-end. I shopped my gardens and potted up containers with fern,astible,creeping jenny and wild ginger in them. I am excited to see how full they will all get. I have been doing this for a few years as my gardens are so prolific and the price is right. My porch is so dark even impatiens don't do well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greening21

Hello, "arcy"! I'm new to the forum, as we just bought our first house, but I've been in the garden since I was small. I've enjoyed reading your postings -- you seem very knowledgeable!

I, too, spent the weekend getting containers ready. IN is seeing better, but not great, weather. It WAS great to get my hands dirty! I used creeping jenny, potato vine, begonia and coleus. It's a test year to see what works and what doesn't.

My mother used to have trouble with impatients, too, under the tree near our front door. Amazingly, the fall mums she dug in there one year just for fun came over and over again! Sometimes gardens just have a mind of their own ... I put some clearance-table-leftover mums in just to see what happens.

I'm not familiar with wild ginger. I will read up!

Happy plantings!

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
What is this ?
Hi, basically, I need to find out the name of this...
How2plant
Shade Gardening in Southern CA
Greetings everyone! I'm rather new to gardening. I...
shady_10b
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
I search worsleya rayneri
Hello i search Worsleya raynery seed .....i offer many...
ghitasima
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™