'Desireable' invasives for part/ to full shade??

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)May 27, 2006

Hi I was just wondering if anyone had any rec.s for some "invasive" plants for shade/ and part shade. Desirable "invasives" like natives or decorative plants or plants that are good for wildlife etc. shrubs and sub shrubs and perennials and groundcovers would do. I have a border in my woodland that always get taken over by the mugwort and I garden organically and so far the best "attack" as been to plant other invasives to choke it out. Monarda seems to be doing a decent job so far. What others? Throw out any rec.s I'm open to suggestions. ..... Thanks. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerb2(z5oh)

sweetwoodruff isn't native, but its a well behaved invasive-- it rips out easily and looks nice. wild ginger can be native or non-native and can be invasive if it likes where it lives. virginia creeper is native and will take over if you let it. nice fall color, nice leaf, has berries that birds like. if you cut it back every few years it stays manageable

diggerb

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 4:09PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

I second the sweet woodruff - it is indeed "well behaved". Lily-of-the-valley. Goutweed is very invasive but pretty.

Bookmark   June 17, 2006 at 9:46PM
Barbaraga(GA 7a)

Creeping foamflower (Tiarella) will cover the ground quickly when happy.

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 4:58PM
Barbaraga(GA 7a)

Hardy begonias will shade out anything and have pretty pink flowers in summer. I have them in almost full shade, and they even shade out the quack grass which is rampant in most of the garden.

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 8:14AM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

I also second Begonia grandis as very desirable. However, the deer in my area also find it desirable so they tend to destroy areas of it on a random basis. Luckily, the new babies each season keep it fairly common in my shade areas.

George

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 10:10AM
busyd95

I use "camoflage plant" in my shade garden--in the sun, it would be horribly invasive, but in the shade it's manageable and provides nice color contrasts depending on where it's established itself (totally green in full shade, tinged with cream in dappled shade, and with red where it gets more sun. I've found it to be a great "filler" and is easy to pull up, which you will have to do. Is about a foot tall, gets insignificant, but cute white bloom. It does have a interesting scent of citrus when you pull it up.

Bookmark   August 27, 2006 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
Mystery Plant
I am looking to identify this plant. It has filled...
GardenMomma11
darmera peltata and astilboides tabulara
I have 7 bare root big leaved plants to plant (four...
mulchie
what plant is this?
hi can anyone tell me what plant this is? thanks
Helen Percival
Taller shrubs for a mostly shady area
Hi there! I live in Durham, NC and have an area in...
crabbygardener
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™