Wheatgrass for Juicing

twmoJune 2, 2007

I have bought some wheatberries from a health food store and am going to start growing my own wheatgrass for juicing. I have several questions and hope someone can assist me?

I have looked online extensively but most info online is from people selling grow-indoors kit, or hydroponic kits. I do not have money to spend on that stuff, every penny counts right now.

1.) The store sold bags for $2.39/pound, is that a fair price?

2.) Could I use the wheat that farmers plant? I live next to a farmer who plants wheat, is it the same or is it different than I would want for juicing?

3.) Can I plant the wheatberries outside in the dirt(protected from the dogs)? It is about 60/night 80/day now, is it okay to sow the seeds directly in the dirt now (after soaking for the day?)

4.) If I have to container plant, how often do I water?

5.) I have a Jack LaLane juicer, can I use that to juice wheatgrass? If not, where can I get an inexpensive (but decent) juicer?

Thank you so much for any help anyone can give me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iacche(z6 Eastern PA)

I wouldn't use the wheat the farmers plant. It might be treated with something that might linger in the young shoots.

I can buy organic whole wheat berries at my supermarket (Wegman's in Eastern PA) for about a dollar a pound.

I can't help you with what kind of juicer you'd need.

As far as how to do it, there seem to be pretty good instructions on the SproutPeople website. I have no connection to SproutPeople and I'm not promoting them. But their pages have LOTS of useful information for how to do it. I've sprouted wheat before (just in a small jar), but I've never grown it into wheatgrass.

Their page on sprouting grass:
http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/grass.html

Their page on their wheatgrass kit (you don't need to buy the kit, of course, but you can use the information to improvise at home):
http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/kit/wgkit.html#Anchor-6296

(I've never posted links here, so I hope this works well enough.)

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 10:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Worminator

Hey there - honestly, it's not that expensive to grow. I have a blog that has a spreadsheet attached to the page that breaks down the cost see http://wickedwheatgrass.com/how-to-grow-wheatgras/the-cost-of-growing-wheatgrass/ . I managed to get the cost of a shot to $0.20 (letting the wheatgrass grow a second time) I'm not selling anything on there and give a straight account to growing and managing wheatgrass. It is great for you so I highly recommend growing it :) - Happy Juicing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost of growing wheatgrass

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Planning Your Summer Garden: Food Crops
There are a number of delicious food crops you can...
lindsay0419
Viola banksii- Baby Blue
Still looking. A kind person sent seed, at great expense,...
bogturtle
Outsidepride.com?
Has anyone ordered from this place? They specialize...
RHay
Territorial Seed Company
Does anyone have personal experience with Territorial...
ilovegardening
Crape Myrtles: Buyer Beware
For anyone remotely considering placing an order with...
Ann_L
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™