Shade question / Help

echoes_or(Zone 3)May 13, 2006

I'm in zone 3 and not sure if elevation makes any difference except with extreme heat differences night to day. But I'm at 4600 feet so my temps can flucuate anywhere between 40-60 degrees during the summer months.. I have an area along my garage that doesn't get much if any sun - if any very weak sun - no heat. It's on the north side and is the last place to thaw in the spring. The eastern edge is more dry soil while the western half of the bed is moist. I have planted bleeding hearts and they lasted a couple of years but at this point are gone. Lung Wort is fine, Columbines do good, I planted a couple of Lady Ferns and so far they are not showing this year. Sweet Woodruff grows very well ie to well.. HAHA

I want plants that bloom throughout the summer time and I really don't want just annuals because that brings out my cheap side.. Plant once for ongoing blooms etc...

Any ideas on what I can add here, got one Hosta that I'm going to try out but after the Columbines I just have greenery and no blooms.

Help and thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

That's kind of hard. Long-blooming shade perennials that will take zone 3. Rozanne geranium might work, if she's hardy to zone 3. Not sure. She comes back for me in Zone 4a though. Some of the other hardy geraniums would undoubtedly work.

You could also try Impatiens balsamina. It is an annual, but it will tolerate quite a bit of shade and you can easily save seed for next year, so it should satisfy the frugal side of you. They will even self-seed a bit, if conditions are right.

Dicentra eximia has a long bloom period, again, you'll have to check for hardiness.

With most perennials, you have to plant for succession of bloom. Few of them will bloom all season, especially not in shade. I can think of several, but they're all full sun lovers.

Janet's Garden Blog

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 3:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I think that Aconitums are hardy to Zone 3 and there are several species and cultivars, some bloom in summer and some later.

Bookmark   May 21, 2006 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Advice/Suggestions for front of house
Hello all. I have been searching the internet and this...
NWilliamson25
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
Can anyone tell me what this shade loving plant is?
A very close family member gave me a cutting to this...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?
I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch...
beetelman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™