Moss or algae? How to eliminate?

thisbettyFebruary 23, 2013

There is greeny/yellow film on large parts of my shady brick patio, which I can't eliminate - it always comes back. It also appears in moderate sun. I have true mosses growing in crevices in the sunny patio.

The film bothers me more - scrubbing, baking soda, lime,
Clorox, Comet, 409- the film is removed temporarily but returns gradually. Accumulated winter leaves increase the problem - but it is in other areas without leaves - and is very slippery when wet..

I would really appreciate your experience and advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisbetty

PS

Bricks are laid in sand - so no pressure wash.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 5:28PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

The concrete steps on our back porch get slippery and slimy too. I pour a little bleach on there, let it sit for a few minutes, scrub with a brush or hard broom, then rinse. You can't keep it from coming back, AFAIK, just clean when necessary. If it's a bunch of separate stones, you could fill a squirt bottle with diluted bleach and spray them. If you do often enough, scrubbing probably wouldn't be necessary, IDK.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 12:11PM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

I have argued with my Mom for years about this. I will NOT put harsh chemicals on my property, slime or no slime. Just get used to it!

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 5:42PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I don't own any gardening chemicals, but someone could be seriously injured slipping on the steps, probably me. Keeping them free of slime, necessary about once a year, is not an option. It's not a visual issue, it's a safety issue. Bleach is what I use to clean everything, and definitely kills mold and mildew.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:22AM
thisbetty

Thanks.

A permanent solution would be nice, but we do the best we can with what we have. It is hard work and it is a little less trouble if I keep the patio really clean (leaves, potting soil, etc.)

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Price of Long Needle Pine Straw in Your Area?
Last week we had our annual pine straw mulch refresh....
kswl2
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™