Serviceberry - which variety for the Southeast?

leslie123(Z8 WA)February 15, 2005

I want to plant some serviceberry. Which variety would I plant for the deep south? I live Southeast Louisiana, about 70 miles north of New Orleans, lower zone 8.

I'd planned to get some online but am confused by the many varieties. If you know *where* to find it, that would help, too.

Thanks!

Leslie Guidry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pterostyrax(8a)

Most of them do well in the south. Do a google search with the terms "amelanchier louisiana" or "amelanchier mississippi". You will get plenty of information.

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 11:27AM
shelley_r(7b NC)

According to the NatureServe database (a wonderful resource, link below), there are 2 apecies that are native to Louisiana, arborea, and canadensis.

Shelley

Here is a link that might be useful: NatureServe Explorer

Bookmark   February 27, 2005 at 8:07PM
lucky_p

I've seen A.alabamensis in the D.E. Davis Arboretum on the Auburn University campus, but don't know what features differentiate it from A.arborea.
A.obovata is a southern-origin serviceberry; the "Jennybelle" selection has been available from a small number of sources in the past. It's a loose, sprawling large shrub/small tree, and at least in my plantings here in southern KY, is less desirable than A.laevis(Allegheny serviceberry), and fruit quality is much poorer than A.laevis, A.xgrandiflora, or any of the A.alnifolia selections.

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
Crepe Myrtle in the ICU
Hi folks, This crepe myrtle came from the builder when...
rwiki
Windbreak, Privacy Screen, City Lot, Wet Feet
Hello - I need some ideas for what to do along the...
Tryska D
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™