tulips and daffodils are coming up already

thomas75(AR7)February 2, 2006

All of my bulbs are already coming up. Will they be alright, what should I do before it gets real cold.

Thanks,

Thomas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

Hi Thomas,

In the past when there came a deep cold snap and spring flowers were up and blooming, I have covered them with boxes or bags, or buckets, even pillow cases, anything to keep the biting frost from 'melting' the leaves and burning the delicate blossoms. I weighted the covers down with small rocks. If you have mass plantings, you can use lightweight bedspreads & sheets, and it works just fine.

Make sure that in the morning, if it is going to warm back up, that you remove the covers or they will cook. It is a lot of work, especially if you have very many flowers, but if you want to save them, it is worth the effort.

Hope this works for you.

~SweetAnnie4u

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 9:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tkhooper(7)

I don't know where your located. But for me this year it snowed several inches after the crocuses and daffodils had already begun comming up. I didn't do anything and they managed just fine. The snow lasted several days. I've heard that they have been known to break through snow to bloom but I had never seen it until now.

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Identifying Mushrooms On Oak Log
We have some creamy colored disc type mushrooms growing...
Savannagirl
invasion of something on my coleus
I have 18 coleus in pots They have been great but......
optiwench
Epsom salt on plants
I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables....
angel123
Leggy Aspidistra
I have large Aspidistras that sat for several years...
pbatlanta1
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™