Lasting marker?

Kathy_sw_va_mts(z6 sw VA mts)July 6, 2004

What do you use to make plant markers? Please give me a brand and source. It is discouraging to mark a plant and later find it is gone. Thank you for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greenthumb(Zone 5a, MN)

Use a #1 lead pencil rather than a marker. Pencil has never faded off of a label for me. The label will crumble and/or disintegrate before the pencil lead will fade off of the label. The lead of a #1 pencil is very dark (and it is much softer lead than is in a standard #2 pencil).

For labels that will really last, buy some old vinyl mini-blinds at a garage sale (or save one of your own) and then cut them into usable labels. Mini-blinds are treated so they won't break down in the sun and a pencil will write on a label really well.
Good luck,
Mike

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 4:16PM
Greenthumb(Zone 5a, MN)

Oops...I meant that a pencil will write on a mini-blind really well.
Mike

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 4:18PM
Kathy_sw_va_mts(z6 sw VA mts)

Thanks Greenthumb, wish I had posted sooner. This place has been so good to me.

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 5:27PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I use Mike's method too.

I also use a Uchida DecoColor opaque paint marker pen on 'bleach bottle' labels. That plastic is extremely durable. So far, 3 years, the label is good.

I bought the Uchida pen at the local hobby store. About $3.50.

Bookmark   July 7, 2004 at 3:06AM
UllisGarden(z4NYClinton)

I like my markers to look pretty too, so I get creative. I use saladforks and V8 cans or other aluminum cans that don't have a deposit. I use tinsnippers to cut into top, then I cut a big rectangle out of the aluminum, cut it in half, fold edges over, write on it with very sharp pen and wedge it in between the tines. It looks almost like punched tin and will last for years.It looks like a piece of art instead like a mini blind LOL

Bookmark   July 31, 2004 at 7:46PM
Kathy_sw_va_mts(z6 sw VA mts)

I found a one in. wide blind at Big Lots, a dozen no.1 pencils. For $6.00 I figure I can make 300 markers. I also got some cute bug stickers and various colors of permanent markers for decoration. My markers just look so great. Thank you for your very good suggestions.

Bookmark   August 1, 2004 at 10:19AM
lucky_p

I rescued an old metal-bladed venetian blind - aluminum? - with baked-on enamel finish. Cut into desired lengths, can write on it with a 'permanent' marker, or use a nail(or an engraving tool, if you must) to scratch the ID, etc. into the enamel finish - that's REALLY permanent!

Bookmark   August 4, 2004 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Source for purchasing mature 12 foot trees
I just built a new home in Rehoboth and for mitigaation...
aileenm
Viola banksii- Baby Blue
Still looking. A kind person sent seed, at great expense,...
bogturtle
Ordering from Tennessee Nursery (tnnursery.net)
Beware of this company. I have a very bad experience...
oraclexml
Gardening Apps for iPhone?
I am looking for an iPhone application to keep track...
succulentabus
Crape Myrtles: Buyer Beware
For anyone remotely considering placing an order with...
Ann_L
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™