Plants for sloping river bank

AmyShaleenFebruary 17, 2012

My husband and I recently moved into a house along the Chattahoochee River and are trying to landscape the area down by the river. The area is about 15 feet away from the river, so is not ever submerged, but does have fairly damp soil. It's kind of a wet clay-ish material. It's also somewhat hilly and shaded in the summer, by trees we are not allowed to remove.

We do have mulch there now, so we don't need a vine or a creeping plant - we plan on clearing holes in the mulch for the plants.

What are some attractive plants that would thrive in that environment and would help prevent erosion? /we would like a lower plant (so as not to block the river views) that is brightly colored and (ideally) would stay green year round.

Are we asking too much? :) If so, alternatives are certainly welcome! Thank you so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I would look into native plants and shrubs. Possibly native flame azaleas. Not sure of others but try searching online. I think a place called Niche gardens. And please, if you don't already have it, carry flood insurance. I cannot stress this enough.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 11:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Absolutely native plants would be the best in such a natural environment. A naturally occurring riverside shrub is Virginia sweetspire - Itea virginia. There are low growing forms if you think height is an issue: 'Little Henry' is one. This plant suckers a bit in ideal conditions so it would help with erosion. It is not evergreen.

Native evergreen plants that you could mix in would include Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia) and Inkberry (Ilex glabra).

All of these would thrive in those wet, part shade conditions. You can easily get these plants at better nurseries like Buck Jones in Woodstock/Roswell or Grayson.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Retail Garden Center Dall./Ft.Worth area??
Hi all. I'm new to this area of the site and I hope...
leelee7
Sugar Cane
Is there a preferred time of year in planting it? What,...
greenepastures
I had frost?
I'm in upstate SC, I had frost this morning in several...
plantnut65
what does not (won't) grow in the south
This post is for FUTURE reference. I live in northern...
kawaiineko_gardener
Very hard pruning of big boxwoods?
I know this has been discussed before, but I just can't...
topsiebeezelbub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™