empty planter box

angel123(San Antonio, Tx)June 17, 2008

I need some ideas on what to put on this shady planter box? Some colorful plants that will last till fall. Zone 8B.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enjoy

I'm really not familiar with what works in your climate but I have a good deal of deep shade as well as dappled shade and I love to use begonias, lime coloured sweet potato vine (yes, it does just fine in deep shade for me and everyone is surprised because they never considered it before), impatiens, fan flower, coleus. All will spice up the space with colour and most will continue to bloom in our summers even through the worst of the heat as long as they are watered regularly. All are very forgiving of a bit of drought and come in may fabulous colours.
This time of year in Ontario we can get some good deals on the larger plants so I would suggest you just get the biggest ones you can find and enjoy looking at it full of flowers.
I was going to try to send a pic of mine but can't seem to figure out how to do it. I'm not savvy when it comes to digital cameras and sending or uploading photos.
Best of luck!

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
North side of the house
Hello I am about to built a house which would have...
saoodhashim
Starting a shade garden in central Maryland
I have started to read the forum regularly, so I thought...
LaVidaMd
Ornnamental grass
Do ornamental grasses grow well in the shade?
els60
Dividing some shade plants
Hi all! I have several out of control giant epimedium...
CEFreeman
What grows well under an oak tree?
In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak...
Orchidllauraga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™