My Texas Sweet Orange tree is shedding !

heidiho(St. Martinville, La. Zn.8)March 26, 2005

Anyone have or know anyone that has a Texas Sweet Orange tree? Don't know if this is normal but mine has lots of yellow leaves that are dropping off.I just noticed it happening in the past week or so. Been here for 5 years and never seen this happen. It's about 15' tall and 10' wide and full of blossoms and looks healthy other than the yellowed leaves. Does anyone know if this is normal and I just never noticed it before or is there something wrong with it? Thanks for your help and have a very nice holiday weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

My adult Lemon, Grapefruit and Tangerine tree are all dropping old leaves now and replacing them with new growth. Citrus leaves have a lifespan of about 18 months (if I'm remembering correctly), then they are dropped. Nothing has changed for my trees except it has warmed up outside, so I think this shedding is normal. My trees are covered with blooms and new growth.

Check with the Citrus Forum to be sure though(G).

Lisa

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 6:57AM
heidiho(St. Martinville, La. Zn.8)

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful response. That made my day. Sure didn't want to lose that tree. It gives me around 150 sweet oranges every year. Although they're always blotched with brown spots on them they are the sweetest oranges I've ever tasted. We're only a mile from the refineries in Texas City so I'm assuming that's the reason for the brown rind. Always lots of chemical smoke in the air. Other people around here complain of having the same color rind on all their citrus so I'm guessing that's the reason. I did post this question on the citrus forum also. Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 9:33AM
athagan(z9a N/C Fl)

So long as the stems appear green and healthy this is normal. Some of my trees are doing the same thing, particularly my Ambersweet orange. Much new growth and flower buds coming on now.

.....Alan.

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 11:22PM
heidiho(St. Martinville, La. Zn.8)

The stems are all green and healthy looking. Guess I won't worry about it now thanks to both of you for your help.

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Edgeworthia chrysantha
Hello, I have recently bought and planted a Edgeworthia...
sfcrumley
mimosa pruning
I was given a 1 yr old potted mimosa and planted in...
Diane_Warneke
HELP with horsetail fern
I think it is Equisetum hyemale. My husband planted...
beagardner
Leland Cypress screen planting?
I want to plant a Leland Cypress privacy screen. There...
wendyb_2007
How to care for new sod - Hibernation
Hello, As of this second, I have a team of people putting...
thom71gt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™